Author Topic: Visitor  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Visitor
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 07:49:03 am »
I can just picture an old frontiersman brought into the future exclaiming, "Let me get this straight... You brought the wolves back!!!! ON PURPOSE!!!   You realize it took us almost 100 yrs to get rid of them.".

Are these the same frontiersmen that exterminated the Passenger Pigeon?  :D
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 07:57:46 am »
More than likely, yes.  ;)

You should probably add heath hen, carolina parakeet, eastern elk, sea mink, blue pike, and jumbo herring to that list as well. :o (A)
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 09:00:47 am »
We've got mink here yet and a few different types of weasels.The mink maybe get as big as your pine martin.Climb tress etc. too.Eyes are red at night.I suppose our otter are as big as your fisher.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 05:04:58 pm »
More than likely, yes.  ;)

You should probably add heath hen, carolina parakeet, eastern elk, sea mink, blue pike, and jumbo herring to that list as well. :o (A)

Yes and more.   I was actually going to add "some native tribes" but I didn't think it appropriate  ::)

Otter are about the same size as a Fisher, not quite as ferocious though.  Supposedly the Snowshoe Hare is a Fisher's preferred food source.  It is also said that seeing a Fisher is a sign that the ecosystem is in good health.  They may be a bit hard on the small game animals but I still love to see them.  I would rather they not hunt around the house but like everything else they have a right to survive

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline chamookman

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2017, 04:40:32 am »
That Fisher will help with the Red Squirrel population also Marc . Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2017, 08:34:46 pm »
Marc..Yes they have a living right to exist that's for sure the way I see it.That's why I don't get too upset when coyotes get onto a deer I've shot with my self bow the next day.
With that being said yet after being called to remove  skunks and ground hogs from underneath peoples homes.In the end they are all opportunists taking advantage of what they can to survive as easy as they can.Can't blame them.
It's when they dent into peoples pocket book the extermination syndrome starts.Hard to change that for people.
Out coon hunting once an otter got in the way[or we got in her way] away from the river while my hound was trailing a coon.Quite a battle incured.An otter is as nasty as they come.That happened a couple of times with a badger too.They are just as nasty.
Are'nt all these critters in the weasel family?I think so.Lucky no wolverines are natural around here.Another double tough hombre.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2017, 08:08:51 am »
Marten and Weasel are more apt to hunt Squirrels up here.  I've seen Weasels up in trees before hunting, heck I've even seen Mink up in trees.  Even though we are supposed to have Marten up I've never seen one although I know people that have seen them. 

All members of the Weasel family

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2017, 10:55:36 am »
There a kid on you tube that trains mink to hunt muskrats and barn rats for him. Very interesting. He had on buck trained and wanted another. He went to a mink farm and told the guy he wanted the meanest buck mink he had. As JW said the kid was bat crap crazy. So was the mink.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise