Author Topic: another wonky tiller check  (Read 2190 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

another wonky tiller check
« on: April 05, 2017, 05:34:40 pm »
Hey guys, this is a BL all-heartwood bow with a wonky side profile. These ones are challenging to tiller. The pics are bending progressively more. How's it looking?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: another wonky tiller check
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 05:35:11 pm »
last two
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 05:44:12 pm »
I think the outers need to bend a little more. In those pictures you can see that you're canting your hand forward. That seems to take some of the wonkiness(sp- you're the teacher) out. I wonder if it would look the same on the tree?

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 06:04:09 pm »
Thanks DC. Great observations and perfect spelling! You get an A+ :OK

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 06:28:10 pm »
I agree with DC I think mid to to tips needs to bend a bit more maybe some more out of lower fades to. Those are always though. Sometimes you can just mark straight lines on side and watch how they bend
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 06:41:22 pm »
I think what's messing with me is that it's wonky through the handle so it looks different depending on how it sits in the hand. Here it is on the tree (sorry about the busy background) laying as even as I can get it to lay.

Nigerian Proverb

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 11:39:56 pm »
The limbs appear to leave the handle at different angles.  To me, that kind of wonky means you have a hard time working from a tillering tree.  It looks much better in the hand.  I would only correct based on how it looks and feels in the hand from here on out. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 07:10:00 am »
The limbs appear to leave the handle at different angles.  To me, that kind of wonky means you have a hard time working from a tillering tree.  It looks much better in the hand.  I would only correct based on how it looks and feels in the hand from here on out.

Thanks Rhodes. That's exactly what's going on (limbs leave handle at different angles) and your suggestion makes total sense. From here on out I'll abandon the tree. I think shooting it will tell me a lot as well.  ;)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 07:28:30 am »
Upstate that one is wonky to the extreme out of the handle. I reminds me a bit of the one I made for my son. Buko's Bow but yours is probably even more wonky. I like to tiller those by putting them in  vice on side clamped by handle. Sometimes I mark a series of short straight line on edge of stave, then I bend by hand and just look at the lines. It helps to keep the wonky from messing with your brain. Also like said see how it feels in hand. Good Luck it'll have a bend that only a bowyer could love.
Bjrogg

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 08:02:58 am »
The top needs to bend more mid limb on to the nocks.
The bottom limb has a hinge about 8 inches out of the fades. Mark a big x on it. Remove wood from above and below the hinge but leave it alone.
Take your time and use a scraper.
Don't draw it anymore than intakes to expose a problem.
It is true that different entry points can make the tiller more difficult.
But I'd fix that hinge right away.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 11:43:21 am »
If you're looking for an interesting experiment try gluing on skewers like I did. It's an eye opener. I think your brain wants to see a nice curve and it messes with your eyes to get it :D

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 12:26:14 pm »
If you're looking for an interesting experiment try gluing on skewers like I did. It's an eye opener. I think your brain wants to see a nice curve and it messes with your eyes to get it :D
I like that idea DC. Yup it really messes with your mind and even when you really concentrate it's still hard to tell how much it's bending without a good reference
Bjrogg

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 01:54:56 pm »
Page 205 of TBB4 has a picture of your bow :D

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 02:31:10 pm »
This one probably would have been easier if you could have moved handle to the left about 6". Maybe could have gotten reflex in both fades. Not sure.
Bjrogg

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 09:32:55 pm »
Thanks Jawge. I'll have my eye on the hinge.

DC, I've got the kindle cloud version and it doesn't show page numbers. What chapter is it in????

bjrogg, unfortunately, that's where the handle had to be. I'm going to have to go with a balanced thickness taper between the limbs and ultimately by how it feels and shoots. I'm putting sharp static bends with steam in as we speak.

Nigerian Proverb