Author Topic: Plum bark  (Read 812 times)

Offline DC

Plum bark
« on: April 04, 2017, 03:05:16 pm »
I'm trying to leave the bark on this plum bow. Right at the edge of the bark(where it changes from back to side) the edge goes fuzzy. I'm thinking of running a bead of CA along the edge to harden it up so it gets a nice, crisp edge when I sand it. Anyone else dealt with this? What would you do?

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Plum bark
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 07:33:47 pm »
I don't know about the species you have, but I noticed that there was a thin "shell" on the outside with "fuzzy" inner bark on the inside. If you look at the pics of Baker's plum bows in TBB 4 in the chapter, Bow Wood, it looks like he removed the outer shell and left only the inner bark. I think you may want to leave only the fuzzy stuff.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 08:05:31 pm »
I considered that but this looks so nice. The one on the cover of TBB looks dark to me but pictures lie. I'll have to give it some thought. I've bent it to 27" and it didn't crack. I did Olive oil it. I've just finished a bit of a heat treat on it so I'll oil it again. I did a Google search and came up with one that Accipiter built a while back. He peeled off the outer layer. I didn't like it as much as "au naturel"

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 08:10:25 pm »
I hear that. Best of luck!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 07:14:26 pm »
The bark cracked and I took it off. The stave had some deflex and seemed like a bit of a dog so I decided to heat treat it. That may have spelled doom for the bark. I did oil it a half dozen times with olive oil. It was pulling 40#@26 and when I heated it and took out the deflex it went to 40#@23. I used a bunch of water getting the bark off so I'll let it dry for a couple of days.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 07:16:44 am »
Sorry to hear about that. Sounds like it may still make a nice shooting bow though. Keep us updated. I love plum!

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 11:15:11 am »
There was a flaw of some kind where it cracked. Kind of a long thin bubble. Maybe from the wood shrinking when it dried.