Author Topic: Any Texas Bowyers?  (Read 5281 times)

Redbone

Any Texas Bowyers?
« on: March 14, 2008, 01:50:49 pm »
I'm pretty new at this . And was wondering if there are any Bowyers that live in my area that would be willing to school me on bow making. I have a nice yew stave and one snakey piece of osage that's screaming at me. But I can't get up the nerve. I live in the east Texas area (Tyler) and I would be willing to pay for a lesson or 2 or we can do some trading. Got A pretty good wife I could trade out for a couple of lessons. Shes real good at cooking, She only gripes a little and she even cleans windows!....If that's not what your looking for I got a one eyed dog that will keep ya warm during them cold spells... Never mind I'll keep the dog! But the wife is still up for grabs. :-\

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Any Texas Bowyers?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 01:57:50 pm »
This made me laugh.. :D ;D :D.

There are at least a few Texas bowyers on this forum.....and before you spend money just wait a while.....others will chime in and offer free advice.

(by the way...if my wife did windas I wouldn't trade 'er fer nothin'  ;))
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline PeteC

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 02:40:48 pm »
Redbone,I live in between Whitehouse and Chapel Hill,on FM 848.I don't charge to have so much fun,helping with a bow.I've never used yew,but have experience with osage.Shoot me an E-mail with your number,and I'll holler at ya.This is cool!!.I got my son in law started bow building,(and he is quite addicted),and one other feller from the Gilmer area,but I personally don't know anyone else who enjoys this addiction.Lookin' forward to hearing from ya.   God Bless,  PeteC
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 03:24:29 pm »
Redbone, My parents live in Yantis just a few miles north of you. In fact I have some staves there, drying in dads shop so next time I come down there maybe we can hook up and play.  There is a ton of good bow wood around you. Osage,western red cedar, locus, pecan,oak,hickory and thats just scratghing the surface. What you don't have is yew in that area.  But us norethern fellas do ;D ;D What I would suggest is, save the yew till your more confident and hone your skills on the local woods. If you mess up just go harvest more.  ;D
  We are trying to plan a trip down there this year but it may be closer to this fall. Our spring and summer is getting booked up fast.   Keenan

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 04:00:40 pm »
Some of the purtiest Hickory I ever saw I cut around Tyler :). Have a friend out there - he doesn't build bows but lets me cut. That probably don't help much though does it?  ;D..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Redbone

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 12:16:18 pm »
Thanks guys . I didn't think Anybody would be this close But pete is just down the road from me. This is great! And yea there is lots of nice bow wood in this area I can't wait to get started ;D
Pete I sent you an email just call me up and we will go from there..Thanks.