Author Topic: Visitor  (Read 3241 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Visitor
« on: April 03, 2017, 12:57:01 pm »
We had a visitor this morning, something you don't see every day.  My wife spotted him first feeding on something.  Unfortunately all I could do was take a picture through the window as going outside would have spooked him and he was also a fair distance away.

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

Re: Visitor
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 01:02:37 pm »
A shark in the snow? No you don't see that every day..lol

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 03:52:57 pm »
Can't quite tell what he is Marc. Wolverine? Bear? He's not a (B)
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 04:15:29 pm »
The title of the picture says it all, Fisher.  He was a good size animal, at least 3' long

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 07:37:17 pm »
Guess I never heard them called that and we don't have any of those visitors around here. You sure have a nice back yard Marc.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 08:56:57 am »
Guess I never heard them called that and we don't have any of those visitors around here. You sure have a nice back yard Marc.
Bjrogg

I don't know how far south the Fisher's range extends.  They are an interesting animal, saw a full size adult at 20' a few years ago. They are an incredible animal.  Like a Wolverine they have huge paws for their size, they are also related.

I am not into manicured yards and lawns.  My front yard between the road and my house is comprised of trees, I like my privacy

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 10:01:14 am »
A little larger then a pine martin?All in the weasel family I assume.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline rps3

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 01:35:50 pm »
I've seen them here in sw pa.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 05:38:23 pm »
They get way bigger than a Pine Marten.  This guy was about 3' long from tail to nose but the one I saw close up a few years ago was close to 4' long

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 07:47:10 pm »
We've got them just south of Lake Ontario. I was trout fishing in a deep creek once (catching nothing) when all of a sudden one came flying down the side of the bank, dove into the water, came up with a 12"+ trout, and zoomed back up into a hole.  (A)

I've got mink in my backyard as well.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 02:03:28 am »
We got them in NW PA. Saw two this year deer hunting actually. I've been seeing them up in NY for about a decade. Our game commission in PA helped to re-introduce them here. Turkey numbers have been on the decline since.  I guess they go right up the trees and get them in the roost. 
I never understood the re-introduction rationale. Sure they used to be here, but the ecosystems have already adjusted to their absence. Now everything will get screwy until it re-adjusts again. Sometimes we should just leave well enough alone. Trying to fix the mistakes of the past can be just as detrimental as the original mistake, where nature is concerned anyway. Nature is a wonderfully self regulating living breathing system. She can pretty much take care of her self, with the exception of extreme cases of pollution of course. If she wanted fishers back in PA she would have got them here eventually. 

Set a few traps for them this year but no luck. It's a short two week season and you can only take one. Maybe next year. There are still turkeys at that spot so I'm guessing the fisher population there isn't very high. I may think differently after spring gobbler however.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 07:15:59 am »
We got them in NW PA. Saw two this year deer hunting actually. I've been seeing them up in NY for about a decade. Our game commission in PA helped to re-introduce them here. Turkey numbers have been on the decline since.  I guess they go right up the trees and get them in the roost. 
I never understood the re-introduction rationale. Sure they used to be here, but the ecosystems have already adjusted to their absence. Now everything will get screwy until it re-adjusts again. Sometimes we should just leave well enough alone. Trying to fix the mistakes of the past can be just as detrimental as the original mistake, where nature is concerned anyway. Nature is a wonderfully self regulating living breathing system. She can pretty much take care of her self, with the exception of extreme cases of pollution of course. If she wanted fishers back in PA she would have got them here eventually. 

Set a few traps for them this year but no luck. It's a short two week season and you can only take one. Maybe next year. There are still turkeys at that spot so I'm guessing the fisher population there isn't very high. I may think differently after spring gobbler however.

The problem is that nature does try to re-adjust but humans keep interfering.  They see something they don't like and "blam" it's gone.

I remember my grandmother telling me a few times that when she was a young the Ministry of Natural Resources "tried" to re-introduced Beavers around here, they had been trapped out of existence.  The locals didn't understand why they were dumping these strange animals here that flooded fields with their dams so they killed them all  :-M

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline willie

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 02:39:01 pm »
The locals didn't understand why they were dumping these strange animals here

or "reintroducing" wolves to the neighborhood?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 06:27:39 pm »
The locals didn't understand why they were dumping these strange animals here

or "reintroducing" wolves to the neighborhood?

Well that has never been a problem here, they never "left".  Coyotes on the other hand have become a real nuisance up here and they are definitely not native to this area.

I have no problems with any "native" predator but I do believe that their numbers must be controlled

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 12:05:21 am »
I can just picture an old frontiersman brought into the future exclaiming, "Let me get this straight... You brought the wolves back!!!! ON PURPOSE!!!   You realize it took us almost 100 yrs to get rid of them.".
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna