Author Topic: glue failure and glue choice ?  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
glue failure and glue choice ?
« on: April 01, 2017, 05:40:08 pm »
I have had two glue failures in the last two days.

In one case, I had glued a lamination to the face of a fade and on up the limb. It held for several hundred shots. The bow was Osage 66" ntn and shot very well at its 48#. The glue on the face of the fade let go in a flash and with a bang, destroying the limb. That gluing attempt was ill advised, because it amounted to gluing end grain on the fade. I understand that one.

The second failure was on a block added to the back of the handle. The fade was entirely on the block. I know the limb flexed too much under the lip of that block. But after I heard the crack, I checked the block and popped it right off with a chisel. The glue seems to have broken and didn't  take any wood with it on  either piece. The limb and wood were both Osage again.

The glue was Titebond II. I have not had this kind of trouble with it before.

I dampened the surfaces  before applying the glue and it all looked good after curing.

I don't want to use epoxy, because I have had worse results with it.

Is there a glue that will penetrate the wood more than Titebond does? Or can I thing the Titebond and let that soak into the wood, then glue as usual?

Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: glue failure and glue choice ?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 06:17:50 pm »
Jim, did you follow directions on the container?
I ask because I often note people roughing the area when directions call for cleaned well sanded surfaces with good mating. Just a thought.
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 06:59:02 pm »
Was the bottle of glue stored in an unheated space.   I had that issue before and believe that my glue went bad due to excessive cold.  No proof, just my thought.   I keep my glue in the house now and have not had trouble since.  Russ

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 07:07:48 pm »
surface was smooth and flat, not roughed up. Glue was also used to laminate a hickory back on the limbs of the same bow and it;s holding.

My description of the handle block location was not really clear. The block was glued on the belly side of the handle, in the usual place.

I'm thinking of making a longer block and making the fade longer so the transition is longer.

Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 11:48:34 pm »
Sounds like it was just vending to much in the handle, is is possible that you starved the glue joint?
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 11:50:58 pm »
It's all about where your joints were, not the glue.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 12:58:37 am »

This is what i was thinking. Maybe you can try feathering thinner lamanents to get your handle thickness. I think i heard someone mention this somewhere.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 01:08:18 am »

This is what i was thinking. Maybe you can try feathering thinner lamanents to get your handle thickness. I think i heard someone mention this somewhere.

Yes, this works well.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 02:57:27 am »
If the handle area is too thin no glue will hold it on.
Without pictures it is all guess work though :)
Many epoxies have better 'numbers' than TB2 - you shouldn't be down on all epoxies! There are many,many different kinds :) My two favourite glues are TB3 and EA40, depending on the job at hand.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 08:43:30 am »
I think Pat is onto the cause. The fade started thickening slightly after it started narrowing. I have glued on a new block that I will start the thickening a half inch or so before the limb begins to narrow toward the handle.

This is one of my take-down bows where the limb root slips into a steel sleeve. I have a half dozen of these that are performing just fine, but, as Pat  suggests, I think the geometry of the glue joint was faulty.

Thanks for all the input.

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 11:59:28 am »
I've had a couple of handles pop off. At first I blamed the glue. Then I realised that I was seeing lots of glue on handles. Just about every board bow made has a glue on handle. Glued with all different kinds of glue. Now maybe all these people are lying and thier handles only last long enough to take pictures but I doubt that. That's when I swallowed my pride and realised that it must be me doing something wrong. I've now got a few bows roughed out that are going to need handles. The first one I didn't clamp as tight as I was doing. It should be ready in a day or so. I use epoxy.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 12:59:02 pm »
Agree with just about all above. I've done a lot of glued-on handles, but didn't notice that I had the thickness taper start growing too far toward the handle.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine