Author Topic: Crack parallel to the back  (Read 2120 times)

Offline gfugal

Crack parallel to the back
« on: April 01, 2017, 01:19:26 pm »
So there's a crack in a part of this juniper stave that occurred during the splitting process. It runs parallel to the back wich is the top side in the picture. I thinned the stave as narrow as I feel comfortable with (a little under one and a half inches) but it looks like it still goes in a bit further (maybe a quarter of an inch). have any of you dealt with this successfully, or is it a lost cause and I should just chuck it up as firewood? I put thin superglue into it till it was well saturated and you can kind of see it in the picture. What else could I do?
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline DC

Re: Crack parallel to the back
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 01:28:08 pm »
Use it ;D Just keep your eye on it.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 06:59:06 pm »
is that in the fade out area,, just dont make it bend so much there, I think it will make a bow, (-P

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 07:21:17 pm »
I don't trust cracks like that. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline gfugal

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 07:50:18 pm »
is that in the fade out area,, just dont make it bend so much there, I think it will make a bow, (-P
unfortunately no. It would be in the worst spot...mid limb.  :-\
Greg,

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 08:47:19 pm »
Wait a minute! Is that the side of the stave we're looking at, and is the crack about 1/4-1/2" from the back? If that's the case I reserve the right to change my mind. :-[ :-[

Offline Weylin

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 02:05:07 am »
I don't trust cracks like that.

Same here. Cracks on the side equal no bueno.    :-\

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 02:52:17 am »
The only way to find out is to start to make a bow from it. Once you have it to floor tiller all should become obvious.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 05:35:49 am »
I don't use bow wood like that. If I can't completely remove the crack, I burn it. Question though, is it in the handle area? If so, is the stave long enough that you could remove that bad section and Z splice the stave back together?
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 09:08:48 am »
Is that the side? Looks like plenty of wood there for a bow, if yes. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 09:38:59 am »
I would be concerned that it cracked while splitting instead of drying. Not sure if the way it gets damage matters but that's definitely against it's will and nature.
I say just tear into it some more and see if it goes away. 1.5" is still real thick for mid limb. No expert on that wood but I bet you got another half inch to remove still.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 10:05:03 am »
Wait a minute! Is that the side of the stave we're looking at, and is the crack about 1/4-1/2" from the back? If that's the case I reserve the right to change my mind. :-[ :-[
This is the case unfortunately. Its positoned so mid limb there's no way i can shorten it enough to z splice. It's already a billet. It's juniper which isn't that stiff (more than half as stiff as osage) so it will take much more wood to equal a similar pound bow. If i make it real long and thick and keep it at a short draw (like an ELB) i might get away with narrowing it down to 1". I wasn't planning on attempting it now. Maybe i'll mull over it a bit. After several other bows i might feel more adventurous in an expirament like this that has a high risk of failure.
Greg,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 11:00:25 am »
Will you post a pic of exactly where in the bow this crack is? A full pic of the back and belly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 11:22:41 am »
Yes, it would be helpful to see a full length picture of that side of the stave.

I bet that crack goes farther across than you think. I don't trust superglue for those kinds of drying checks. With the grain? Yes, sometimes, but not a check that is in essence a delamination of growth rings.

If you have enough thickness, another potential option might be, to drawknife down to the crack, chase that ring end to end, then back the bow with sinew.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer