Author Topic: kitchen bending jigs?  (Read 3957 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
kitchen bending jigs?
« on: April 01, 2017, 07:39:13 am »
Hi everyone,
so, I've got to do a steam bend in damp timber, its going to need a fair amount of oomph as it is to take out a side to side curve - bending across my knee is not an option. My saucepan and stove is in the kitchen, my bench and vice is at the far end of the garden in the garage - more than 5 seconds away. How do you all manage to steam bend difficult curves in the kitchen? 

Offline DuBois

Re: kitchen bending jigs?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 07:52:38 am »
I have to run to my garage (another story there). Not so far but still cold there and all so went with immediately wrapping stave with towel and then pouring boiling water from stove over towel then putting my foil from top of pot around towel to prevent evap and running to my pre arranged set up.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 07:59:17 am »
Getting a portable single burner unit might work too.Forms and large C clamps are portable too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 09:05:45 am »
I got an electric hotplate, or you can use a campstove, i used to use a propane burner i have for fish fry's
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline k-hat

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 09:21:41 am »
I just wait til the wife's not home and bring all my crap to the kitchen.  No problem at all  >:D ;D

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 10:18:36 am »
I use one of those propane burners for deep frying turkeys. It literally 7' away from my caul. I always have all my clamps, pads and piece of steel to keep belly from lifting all ready. I also have one nice clean pair of leather gloves ready. With HHB at least you just have very short amount of time. It's nice to have a helper but I can do it by myself.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Emmet

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 10:31:38 am »
I used a propane stove in the garage but it caught the limb tip on fire from the flame even though it was a good 8" above the burner. My fault for not sitting there starring at it while steaming. :KN
 Wrapping the limb with a wet wash cloth during steaming holds the heat in for good bit. I remove the cloth a second before bending.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 01:12:59 pm »
you could leave it balanced in the pot and just take the pot out to the shop
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Whiskeyjet

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 06:39:11 pm »
I'm just getting ready to do my first real steam bend... I was just gonna use an appropriate diameter serving dish and clamp it. Anyone thing of a reason that might be not a good idea?

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 09:54:12 pm »
  Stuck,
            7 minutes steaming and hold for 2 minutes...Don't forget gloves though...learned this from Halfeye...He has a jig for steam bending in the kitchen when Donna allows >:D...Wish I knew the link, it's more informative...DO IT IN THE KITCHEN
                                                                            Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline shofu

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 11:33:13 pm »
Hi Stuck - great topic.  Until I get workshop heated I am all kitchen!  I am new and have only bent a couple; but for bending, holding, string measuring and just about everything I use a combo of this simple portable vise ($20 from local tool store with rubber jaws), one handed bar clamps (quickly holds things in place and the vertical slats on my wooden kitchen chair.
Cheers,
George
Cheers,
George

Offline shofu

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 11:33:54 pm »
vise
Cheers,
George

Offline shofu

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 11:34:25 pm »
clamp
Cheers,
George

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 12:24:52 am »
Microwave. :)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

mikekeswick

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 03:00:25 am »
I just wait til the wife's not home and bring all my crap to the kitchen.  No problem at all  >:D ;D

That was my tactic before I got a decent workshop :) I only got caught once when I forgot to empty the yellow sage water out of a fancy pan......err I was cooking....err yellow stuff....honest :)