Author Topic: Hickory vs. Elm  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Scallorn

Hickory vs. Elm
« on: May 12, 2017, 09:27:08 pm »
I have forests full of both, and I've built good bows from both. I know the original is said to be hickory,  but which one would take a sudbury design better?

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Hickory vs. Elm
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 09:34:36 pm »
Being on the fence and having plenty of both ......I think I'd try one of each....................
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 09:48:04 pm »
In my minimal experience with both....

Hickory is denser and will make a stronger bow for the same width.

Both are very tension strong.

Both will take some set/should be heavily heat treated.

Both will make a nice bow.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 09:48:30 pm »
I think Elm is the better wood all around.  Hickory would have beeen more easily worked though which probably explains its greater use in the East.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 10:31:04 pm »
Personally I see more of a difference in quality in types of elm for bow wood.Not so with the hickory here.Good elm though I'll take just as quick as hickory.I think a sudbury design could work for both well if the quality is there.By that I mean the density.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 11:33:11 pm »
Is it true that it is more difficult to get hickory dry? I've heard that hickory is not ideal in humid conditions because it retains more moisture

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 04:51:03 am »
 Hickory is a wood when mentioned you will get a lot of different perspectives but hickory if cut & ruffed out hung on the wall @50% RH  for 2 months should be good to go at least in my case ,I made a hunting hickory/sinew bow last year from stump to shooter in 2 months total  with no issues , heat treating hickory seems to turn it into kinda a poor mans osage & if you talk to some of the better hickory bowers around here they will tell you about making faster bows then when using osage , I think heat treating helps with moister, but with meteculious sealing of the hickory and proper build I wouldn't hesitate to go hunting in the rain all though I'm not much of a rain day hunter any more, it's like any other bow wood to me if properly cared for & sealed it will make a great bow
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 09:37:08 am »
  I like elm a lot ( Not red elm). I don't care much for hickory. If I lived in a very dry climate I might prefer hickory over anything. Where I live we average about 70% humidity and hickory bows I have built tend to become mediocre over a short period of time due to moisture and set. The elm seems to take longer to dry but doesn't seen so hydrascopic. Red elm I don't fool with at all.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 10:02:17 am »
I just wish I had more or a better variety of elm closer around me.My opinion could very well change on elm.I like the winged elm fine but it's not around here.It's red elm here mostly,and 2 different varieties of hickory...pig and shag.That and black locust and osage.
A person would just have to make bows out of them all to come to conclusions about the wood.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JonW

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 09:46:20 am »
If I didn't have access to winged elm I would use hickory. Like others have said hickory is an awesome wood in a low humidity climate. Elm is an underrated bow wood IMO. The right piece of elm (density) will make a very good bow. Both woods benefit from a good toasting of the belly. I say make one of both and decide for yourself  :OK