Author Topic: where to get linen for strings?  (Read 6576 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
where to get linen for strings?
« on: March 16, 2008, 11:39:24 pm »
i guess the subject says it all. i was wondering where a fella can get linen for making strings? thanks, Dan.
45# at 27"

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: where to get linen for strings?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 11:54:55 pm »
Wal Mart , Hobby Lobby and Michaels has it....also Natural Craft Supply on the Web has it too
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 12:28:05 am by yankeemongiat »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Minuteman

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 06:22:32 pm »
www .pyrosupplies.com

They sell good stuff
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 09:33:10 pm by DanaM »

Offline markinengland

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 06:51:33 pm »
Places the deal in traditional leathercraft, saddle making may do good linen. Also worth loking for traditonal bookbinding. Another source may be places that deal in traditional boat building, sail making.

jeduffey

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 05:47:59 pm »
Try this place, they are in Maryland.
wwwbookmakerscatalog.com
They have dyed Irish linen.
Products - Threads and Tapes - Irish Linen
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 11:47:19 pm by Marc St Louis »

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 02:45:09 pm »
 I'd really like to try some linen for strings.What form is the best to use ? Weight,number of ply's,etc. Appreciate any help guy's !  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 04:34:35 pm »
I use domestic 6 strand linen. Breaking strength is listed as 38 lbs. I tested it at about 36 lbs. repeatedly so thats ok by me. Used lots of linen in the past that was crap Imo. I have been very satisfied with this stuff. Can get it from Merchant General Supply Corp. About $27 + shipping fer around 3100 feet...........bob

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 03:34:30 am »
 Thank's Bob  Now I'm thinking that when you said "Domestic" you were saying it was'nt any of that Irish linen,but stuff produced here.Would that be right ?
 "peciate your help.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 04:25:52 am »
Hmm..............say its produced fer US Army. Says domestic so I would assume ( ya know what that means ! ;D ) its made here in US of A............bob

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 05:02:03 am »
Bob, I have 3 rolls of the domestic six strand purchased form pyro, they said it was rated at 48#, all three rolls purchased over a period of two years test identical at 22#. I have one roll of 7 strand also rated at 48# that breaks at 24#. They have an 8 strand premium they say breaks at 96# so if it is good for 1/2 that it might be ok. I think I will try your source. The ones I have now I will use to tie stakes in my garden, they are junk. Steve

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 07:44:18 am »
Steve
Actually if you look at the bottom of pyro you will see that it is owned by merchant general so they both have the same stock. The domestic 6 strand is rated at 38# though. Maybe you got the wrong stuff? I have a newer roll that came from pyro. Maybe I should do a break test to see if it's the same stuff you got.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 01:36:00 pm »
Steve .......the IMPORTED 7 strand they list as 48 lb breakin' strength. Like Marc said could ya have the wrong stuff ? Yes Pyro and the place I buy from Natural Craft Supply are both owned by Merchant General Corp. They have warehouses all over do ya think that matters ? let me know what happens ................................bob

Offline markinengland

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 02:06:29 pm »
I did some testing on my natrual string material today.
Some Beadsmith hemp did OK, averaging at 35lbs breaking strain. It is failry large diameter and I'm not sure of the weight but it looks like it has bow string material potential . As a natural string widely available from Ebay etc it is easy to get hold of, used for bead necklace thread.
I have some Barbour linen lacing thread 6 cord, waxed and unwaxed. Each seemed to do about 30lbs breaking strain.
Best was some Barbours 5 cord Best Machine Thread. This averaged 30lbs but is much smaller in diameter and much lighter. It doesn't come cheap but it looks like it is the best I have access to. Got it from a Ships Chandlers.
Mark in England