Author Topic: Siyahs on no horn bow?  (Read 1534 times)

Offline gfugal

Siyahs on no horn bow?
« on: March 21, 2017, 08:43:10 pm »
I'm playing with the Idea of putting on siyahs for a wood and sinew bow, but no horn. They wouldn't be big siyahs, but I'm unsure how to do it since there won't be horn on the belly to cover up the V-splice. I've heard of lap splicing it but that makes me a little nervous, but so does leaving an exposed v-splice. What do you guys think would be the best strategy?
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline PatM

Re: Siyahs on no horn bow?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 08:46:53 pm »
An underlay that feathers into the working limb acts the same as a horn belly. You can also just wrap the splice or do both.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 08:54:27 pm »
4est trecker did one several years back, no splice just glued the siyahs on and wrapped them
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 12:49:15 am »
I did a hickory bow that had siyahs. I flattened the last 3" of the back that was overlapped by flat underside of siyah which had a little notch drop down of about 1/8" to make a butt joint against the end of belly. Wrapped it all with sinew after glued together and no problem.

Imagine 2 capital L's spooning each other for the surfaces of the back, siyah, and butt joint, and then wrapping them up with sinew. Sorry, not good at describing this

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 03:06:31 am »
The horn on the belly doesn't hold it together.
No problem to leave it exposed and you don't need to wrap them either but for peace of mind and to tidy the area up it may be wise.
I once made a bow like you describe from a short osage stave, no wrapping etc and it held up fine at 70# and is still shooting many years later.
The key is making a perfect joint.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 05:37:52 am »
I've V spliced short tips onto bows that needed a few extra inches, depends how thick the limb is at the splice. it's all about glue area and leverage. Binding withthread/epoxy or sinew will add some extra security and peace of mind.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.