Author Topic: Where do I go from here? (new pics)  (Read 6665 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Where do I go from here?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 07:55:33 am »
Shannon its looking really good, does your wife shoot? Could surprise her with a new bow
if ya don't make your weight :) Next time ya think about burning them scraps just send em my way ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 03:06:01 pm »
Shannon,
I'm with you...notorius about salvaging osage from the cook fire. Pappy often says..."gotta have fire", I just try and make sure the coals I'm lookin' at and enjoying the warmth couldn't have made a decent bow. I'm working on one right now that has a worm hole through the limb and the handle area had splits in it. I'll have to build up the handle some with leather to get it to feel okay, although it has strength.

I agree that you could heat treat the belly some and pick up weight. Might could recurve the tips a little more and add some also, though it could make the sinew a little more tricky. Probably would need to use short lengths of sinew on the recurved portion of the limb if you go that route. Looking good though! :)

Buildin' any knifes lately? ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 02:43:24 am »
Well I tillered it out a littled farther. I went out to 26" and at this point have 40#.  I'll never make 50, but who cares.  I have a little 45#'er that shoots faster than most of my other 50-55# bows and I just have a feeling with a little sinew, this one might just do the same.
  The tiller has been kinda hard to read on this one for me, lots of little dips and humps, but I think I have it pretty close.
 The first picture is after I narrowed the tips, got a little snake to it. ;D The second is it at 26" and the third is right after unstringing it.  The little booger is still holding 1-5/8" reflex. Not bad for 1" wide and 55" ntn
  I have all my sinew sorted out and ready. All i'm waiting on is the hide glue to get here.
  I don't have one of them fancy glue heaters, anybody have any good tips on how to heat the glue and what to degrease the back with?
                     Thanks ahead of time, Saw Filer
    Oh and Greg! I haven't made any knives lately, got bows on my mind again.  But don't worry, I won't show up at Pappy's without you one ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Where do I go from here? (new pics)
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 03:47:41 am »
I always degrease with Acetone...but have heard of people using Lye....Oven Cleaner....and all sorts of other Caustic stuff....If you don't have a Sinew Pot....I would say look for a small double Boiler....or an egg poacher....they both work well....or like what I started out with ....a Corell Bowl ...floating in a Sauce Pan of hot water....not too hot....just hot enough where you cant keep your fingers in it too long...you don't want to scorch the Glue.....I bought a small Crock Pot from Wal Mart I think ....for like 14 bucks ....and it works great for this purpose

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 09:08:59 am by yankeemongiat »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 08:12:06 am »
Looking good shannon.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2008, 11:12:06 am »
Shannon, thats amassingly similar to one Ive been working on.  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 12:04:56 pm »
I guess great minds think alike Ryan  ;) ;) ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2008, 12:54:16 pm »
If you mix your hide glue in a glass bottle you can use your wife's candle warmer to keep it warm.  If she doesn't have one you can buy one for $10-$15 at most craft stores.  You cant over heat the glue with the candle warmer and I think you would have to try real hard to start a fire with it. It is about the safest way to keep it warm that I have found.

BTWThe one I have going has a thicker handle, but the profile is extremely similar.  I have 2 courses of sinew on mine now.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah