Author Topic: How much twist have you gotten away with?  (Read 1694 times)

cool_98_555

How much twist have you gotten away with?
« on: March 18, 2017, 08:54:56 pm »
Hey guys,

Just wondering how much twist you have been able to get away with with osage, specifically at the tips.  I know that a lot of twist at the tips is usually just steamed or heated out but if a guy wanted to just leave it au naturale, what have you been able to get away with?  Ive heard many times it's easy to correct it but what if? What if you didn't and left it naturally twisted at the tips and it was somewhat severe?  Also heard that you don't have to correct it if the string doesn't fall out of the nock...

Any pics would be very welcome!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How much twist have you gotten away with?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 11:01:12 pm »
I think George states that 30 degrees or less is OK. Straight limb bows can handle twist as far as shooting and as long as the string stays in the nocks
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 08:42:56 am »
Twist doesn't mean anything until the string comes off. Then, its too much, whatever degree it may be on that specific bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 08:53:35 am »
I agree with Pearl. I need to get some better picture of the "Living the Dream" bow I donated for a benifit. It has both a lot of twist and snake to it. The string almost comes off the side of the static tip. It is the smoothest shooting bow I've made. The twist can mess with your eyes tillering, but if tillered good it really doesn't hurt performance at all.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 01:40:47 pm »
I have heated out twist on osage more than 90° successfully.

If you have a homogen twist in the stave, I mean spread over the whole length, it is no problem til 30°. If there is more you can go with a single kerf nock (slot only on one side of the bow). When you do it on the right side the string pulls the limb a bit in the right direction. So some amount of the twist is compensated just by right string position.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 08:36:46 pm »
great advice above, the smaller the tip, the less of an issue it is,, I sometimes take the rasp and scrape the belly of the tip to point at the string,, then make string groves to get the string centered,, or as some call it orientating the twisted tip to the string,,  (SH)

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 03:43:54 am »
If one edge of the back is higher than the other when braced/drawn it is strained more. Greater distance from the neutral plane = more strain.
A bit like a character bow having to carry a little extra weight - same thing here. If you go super stressed on the design you may run into problems but likely as not it won't be an issue.