Author Topic: Deflex/reflex question  (Read 1889 times)

Offline DC

Deflex/reflex question
« on: March 15, 2017, 03:07:28 pm »
I'm working on this Douglas Maple bow. As you can see the limbs have fairly even reflex but the left fade area is deflexed and the right fade area is reflexed. I've had this situation come up a few times. Is it worth heat treating both fades to sort it out? What effect should this have on the way the bow shoots or will my wrist just bend a bit and sort it all out?

Offline DC

Re: Deflex/reflex question
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 03:15:01 pm »
If i level the handle out it looks like this

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 03:38:35 pm »
DC, I've had this happen a number of times as well. It's tripped me up more times than not cause during tillering and especially in a low brace it makes it difficult to get an accurate sense of whether the bow is bending evenly or not. Heat treating is tricky because you're so close to the handle. The best results Ive had is when I steamed the whole handle area (including 2 or 3 inches out from the fades) with the center of the handle clamped back-side down to a straight piece of wood. As soon as it came off the steam I clamped on either side of the handle as fast as I could.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 04:07:46 pm »
I'd put it on a form and put even reflex in it with heat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 05:11:04 pm »
Looks to me your overall reflex on each limb is about even and balanced good enough.On those many times I just leave it alone and just tiller it the way it is.I never notice anything in my hand different shooting them the way they are.The limbs settle where they want at the full draw with a loose grip.It's up to you though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 06:42:08 pm »
Whether you try to 'fix it' or not, tiller it and seek relative limb balance with the handle level on the tree... as you make and shoot any bow, otherwise you'll torque the grip and throw limb balance off.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 01:08:01 pm »
  I'd fix it with heat, myself.  With a little creative clamping you sould be able to take a tiny bit out of both and start with a very symmetrical stave.  My eye just does so much better that way.  Don't over-do, though.  That knot on one side will try to complicate things.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 01:22:42 pm »
I've never done a maple. Had a quite a few HHB bows like that and usually do like Ed said sometimes I'll put a shim under handle on tree to make it easier to look at and tiller. But HHB JUST doesn't like to bend real good especially with dry heat. I have know idea about maple
Bjrogg
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 01:44:35 pm »
I decided to deflex the reflexed side. The kid I'm making the bow for is about 14 and is six feet already. His draw length is almost 28". His father is at least 6'4". The bow is 66" so I thought a little deflexing would give me a bit of an edge on draw length. It will still start out with about an inch of total reflex so if I'm careful it should be close to straight. The nice thing about inducing deflex is that it doesn't pull out :D

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 02:51:48 pm »
See, now that's the kind of thinking a good bowyer does!  Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 04:44:30 pm by Springbuck »

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 03:23:28 pm »
Thanks Springbuck, I thought I was being a little chicken ;)

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 04:46:45 pm »
 Naw, seriously.  Like, "what this bow ACTUALLY needs, is a a way to reduce strain slightly."  Perfect.