Author Topic: Plum ALB  (Read 5351 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Plum ALB
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2017, 09:57:35 pm »
Jeff....Did you make the belly of that plum flat or rounded?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2017, 10:53:42 pm »
Very shallow D section.

GR, special education grades 3-5. I enjoy it. Been at it for a little over 10 years. Were supposed to get that storm as well but I doubt if school will close. Our SI is a die hard for keeping it open. Have fun building!  :BB

I take that back, no school!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 07:30:26 am by upstatenybowyer »
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2017, 08:44:16 pm »
Your tiller looks great!  I have yet to find a decent plum stave in my neck of the woods.  Most of them are gnarly, short and twisted around here.  That sure is pretty wood and you did a great job with it. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

mikekeswick

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2017, 04:18:21 am »
Nice bow :) I've been looking for plum for ever...the only ones I've seen are in the garden of a castle....they would require a midnight visit dressed in black to cut ;)

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2017, 09:33:08 am »
Howard and Mike,

Thank you both for looking.  :) There's no doubt that it's a hard wood to find. My luck came when I remembered a friend of my Dad's who owns a bunch of land outside the city. I got permission to poke around and after an hour of searching... Eureka! As soon as time and weather permit I'm going back!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline rps3

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2017, 09:51:36 pm »
Nice bow, makes me want to learn a little more about plum and try to find some.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2017, 12:48:48 pm »
"the string loop forced one end to "de-laminate" on a growth ring about 6" down the bow from the tip. So I glued it up with CA, wrapped it with sinew and put overlays on. The handle wood also popped off, so I glued that up and wrapped it with sinew as well."

This is funny because I have literally had every single problem with plum I can imagine.........except this one.  It checks while drying, has wildly barber-poled grain, warps, bends, fights me on heat straightening, and always has a thousand knots where I live, but never this..... And despite all the issues, I am starting to love it, too.  I have a really high success rate (not breaking bows) despite the drying issues.

H Rhodes: "Most of them are gnarly, short and twisted around here."  I didn't know there was any other kind!  But, when I can take a 36" X 2-1/2" leaning, curved branch or sucker of twisted, knotty wood, saw it lengthwise with a chainsaw, splice it, wrestle it to symmetry, and still make a mighty shooter, well, I'm cutting all I can find.....