Author Topic: Handle crack  (Read 4537 times)

Offline Hamish

Re: Handle crack
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2017, 07:35:26 pm »
A shame about the crack.That is a fine looking bow nonetheless.
Never really been a fan of a wooden centreshot bow for this reason as well as visually. They just don't look how a wooden bow should look to me.
Yep centreshot can work, but add a 5/8"wide handle at the arrow pass, heavily reflexed, you are pushing the design to its limits.

I seldom go narrower than 7/8" inch at the arrow pass, I think 3/4" might be the narrowest, and they were all with an orthodox handle alignment not centreshot.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2017, 07:53:04 pm »
Made a lot of bows like this many years ago and all were center shot, never had a problem like that because of it.  Here's a few pics of the reflex, not quite as much as Ed but close.

In order, Sinew backed Black Locust, Osage, Yellow Birch and Elm

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2017, 08:40:55 pm »
Ed, I'm not even going to attempt to diagnose the problem let alone offer a prescription. I'm just here for moral support. You can do it buddy! :OK
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2017, 09:02:36 pm »
Well I just got back from a bow making friend I respect to have a look at this bow.He thought I had the bow working too much into the fades maybe which might be true.Too abrubt a transition from limb to handle was his diagnosis.One of those things that are probably better diagnosed by handling the thing yourself I guess.A pic of full draw here.Tell me what you think.
Next victim is curing here anyway.I think when carving out the arrow pass I'll make sure it is at where the handle is the thickest too.Not sure to try for center shot yet or not.Not the end of the world if it is'nt to me either.Future victim has a full width handle yet.
bjrogg...The crack is what it is in the picture.Does'nt seem to run along the back really.just the corner of the fade there and not to the belly either.
Pat M....I've tossed around ideas to fix this but it seems to involve a complete reshaping of the handle.I just went ahead and started another.
Seems when a bow has a flaw or something I can't trust I just make another.Gary my bow making friend I just visited said I could probably shoot it at 26" yet if I wanted to,but I just said to heck with it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2017, 09:38:17 pm »
Yup, when you have the materials and you like what you're doing there is nothing to be gained by shooting a sub standard bow ;D ;D

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2017, 09:43:02 pm »
I know that feeling  when one of your favorite bows fail & the kick in the gut feeling and going back over the bow forensically looking and in my inexperienced case I can find the cause sometimes quickly , but other times when I have meticulously done every thing I could and still had a failure it's harder and it just becomes guess work because some times it's just the natural material and unseen factors but in your case with having made the same design so many times and shot so many arrows threw the bow I wood defiantly suspect the wood all though it wouldn't hurt to beff up the weak areas just for confidence, some times it just a mystery !  (W
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2017, 10:02:00 pm »
I will rarely blame the wood for my failures.Mostly look at myself where I went wrong.Over time and enough bows things work out.It's funny to see yourself change in the way you make bows over time.Especially the first few years.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2017, 10:41:32 pm »
Ed I love your bows. You have obviously learned a great deal over the years making bows and pushing the limits. If I didn't see the things guys like you are doing here I wouldn't think they where even possible. Sure keeps me humble and gives me something to shoot for in the future. For now my bows will be pretty conservative but you guys make me challenge myself a little more every bow. Thanks for posting your success and your troubles.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2017, 10:52:50 pm »
Ed I love your bows. You have obviously learned a great deal over the years making bows and pushing the limits. If I didn't see the things guys like you are doing here I wouldn't think they where even possible. Sure keeps me humble and gives me something to shoot for in the future. For now my bows will be pretty conservative but you guys make me challenge myself a little more every bow. Thanks for posting your success and your troubles.
Bjrogg

x2... all of it^
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2017, 10:54:25 pm »
I agree Ed you make a mighty fine bow.
Northern Ute

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2017, 11:00:42 pm »
The tiller looks good from here.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PatM

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2017, 11:17:24 pm »
The tiller looks good from here.
It is but the perfect curve goes into the area in question.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2017, 09:39:36 am »
I just got a fascination for these composites.I'm sure glad this bows thread is here.Thought about putting it up in the horn bows thread but as slow as action is going on over there I would'nt have gotten the responses I did here.That's no fault of the thread either.Although it seems whenever I get a problem and no solution from questions I usually figure it out on my own or tidbits of info from you guys.Good thing too.Makes a person think!!!What's that song...Oh lord it's good to be humble when your perfect in oh so many ways..... :)Thanks a lot fellas.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2017, 11:03:48 am »
I can't wait to look in the mirror
Cause I get better lookin each day.
That's a good one Ed.lol
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2017, 11:45:17 am »
Now I got that song stuck in my head.lol. Oh well at least it's a good one.
Bjrogg