Author Topic: Full draw check please ?  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Full draw check please ?
« on: March 14, 2017, 10:28:46 am »
This was a maple/sinew bow I made last year it was only my secound bow I had made, a week before hunting season it got fretts about mid limb it set on the wall of shame for the rest of the year & I pulled it down and started re tillering it easely got under the fretts they were pretty much on the surface the stats are 62 1/2 in ntn @29 in 40 lb  how does it look now I was slightly canting the bow cant seem to get over canting muscle memory & my wife ran out of patients for pics & the high elbow ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Full draw check please ?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 10:39:15 am »
Your fades are way too stiff, so the mids over-worked and fretted.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 10:51:32 am »
Ok thanks Pearl I will work them in appreciate it  :OK
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 11:02:29 am »
You are looking for a more elliptical tiller rather than round. Work the first 4-6" off each fade.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 11:08:03 am »
The first sinew backed bow I ever made was a short osage/sinew bow that looked a lot like what you've got there. Mine was too stiff in the fades as well, so I tried to get it working more there and it ended up dropping the poundage way more than I wanted.

I am no expert when it comes to sinew. The one observation I've made though is that it's important to... take a little bit off, then bend.... Take a little bit off then bend... Take a little bit off then bend... until you get it close to where you want it. It's tedious, but it's way too easy to go from not bending enough to bending way too much.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 11:12:22 am »
Your fades are stiff, but you could just say it's a short bow attached to extended fades and there's nothing wrong with that. This is better than bending too much in the fades. It's a nice looking bow.

Eric
Eric