Author Topic: Handle crack  (Read 4678 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Handle crack
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 11:57:55 am »
Like this.Yes I know I'm crazy!!!!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Josh B

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 11:59:01 am »
The walnut was 11" counting the fades.  The hackberry was 10".  I was going for long graceful curves on them both.  With shorter arrow passes you can safely do them at 9".  The center of the bow is 1/4" below the shelf.  The arrow pass and fade are the same length from center as the handle and fade.  All symmetrical that way, but it does add a little overall length to the bow.  Josh

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 12:02:30 pm »
I'm wondering if the sinew pulled up the splinter while it was curing

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 12:03:38 pm »
I think you may have put those cracks all by yourself :) That is an already huge amount of pressure pulling the opposite way, then couple that with drying sinew and oh boy!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 12:13:38 pm »
I've always wondered how they don't break doing that. I'm sure mine would. I usually don't have that much bend pulling full draw the right direction
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2017, 12:35:57 pm »
I see your point,and a good one.One thing too on the tillering tree I pulled this bow to 28" a hundred times or more.While shooting many times not that far.It cracked while I was testing it through a chronograph pulling it close to 28".
One fellow bow maker here said Ed its that prying tension accross the back lengthwise that may have done that on the draw more so then on the release.
I've made longer fades,and plan to leave more meat in the handle for this stress.More gradual taper to arrow pass then too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 01:38:26 pm »
I am calling that the" know ,, unknown,,,," :NN
that piece of wood may just has a flaw or not as strong as the others you made,, but is showing you there is some stress in that part of the bow, that is more than you thought,, I like the ideas above of making it a bit stronger there, just in case :N

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 01:54:57 pm »
One reason why maybe horn bows have the handle on the back side of bow covered with sinew.Might be a design flaw on my part.Whatever.I'm willing to accept the truth for it happening though.Others in the past have held up in that area I know that.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bubby

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2017, 01:57:28 pm »
I am calling that the" know ,, unknown,,,," :NN
that piece of wood may just has a flaw or not as strong as the others you made,, but is showing you there is some stress in that part of the bow, that is more than you thought,, I like the ideas above of making it a bit stronger there, just in case :N

Still could have happened at that point Ed, reverse string, sinew, then keep it tight, may be just an internal defect made worse by that and u are just seeing the problem manifest before it fails
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2017, 02:29:18 pm »
when a bow blows up, it might not always be a design flaw, ,just that piece of wood was not quite the same as other successuful attempts,, :)

Offline DC

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2017, 02:38:37 pm »
I'm no expert but it looks to me like the the area in red has very little support(nothing to hold it down) and the closer to centershot you get the worse the problem gets

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2017, 04:06:31 pm »
Ed it's hard for me to tell for sure on my phone. Does crack start at limb and progress towards handle? Does it go all the way to back? I might be seeing it wrong but I thought it looked like it started at limb, went into handle and ended before back. That's why I  was thinking from a backwards bend. At any rate I'm still really impressed you can bend one backwards that far putting sinew on. I'd be terrified the whole six months or 3 years or however long you had it curing like that. Pretty cool to see you guys push the limits like you do.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2017, 04:34:27 pm »
yes I am terrified, when I see it now,,,,but I know Ed can tame that thing,, (-P

Offline PatM

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2017, 04:38:54 pm »
I bet the reflexing started the weakening and the shrinking sinew kept working on it. I'm sure you can repair it though.

Offline DC

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2017, 05:02:55 pm »
Yup, a quarter inch hole and a carriage bolt will fix that sucker right up. Don't go cheap and use a square nut though, that's Mickey Mouse ;D ;D ;D