Author Topic: Handle crack  (Read 4679 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Handle crack
« on: March 13, 2017, 10:48:06 am »
Here's a problem I should be able to figure out myself but will post it.It's something that's never happened before to a handle here.Can't say exactly how many handles like this I've put on bows but dozens and dozens for sure.I've never counted how many bows I've made but over a hundred for sure I guess.The cause of it is what I want to know.It's got to be a construction or location fault.I've had  some reasons why told to me already.Looking to avoid it happening again because I'm making another type bow.I have pictures for a visual examination of the problem which can say a lot without words.Then I can answer questions that come up about it.I will say this.I shot literally thousands of arrows out of this bow.Usually 11 to 12 gpp arrows.I just shot a few 9 gpp arrows and noticed it.Highly reflexed bow if that makes a difference.Using FF too if that makes a difference.To me not.Arrow pass is around close to 5/8" wide and close to center shot.
Here's the cracks location.Side view

Top view

Another view

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Handle crack
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 11:02:42 am »
Hard to say, Ed. I see no reason its something you did wrong. I've seen dry fired bows do that. The limbs slam ahead and cause delams between rings, just like that.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JonW

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 11:04:31 am »
Chris beat me to it Ed. If anything it may be a lateral violation that just happened to show after time.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 11:05:40 am »
I've done that a couple times with cut in arrow passes. The trick is to lengthen your fade so it's not trying to bend into the cutout.  I now give myself an inch and a half past where the cut out starts to narrow the limb and have had no more issues with it.  Josh

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 11:09:19 am »
I was thinking same as Pearl Ed. Seems like limbs would have to of move wrong direction to make that crack. It didn't get bumped into something bending limb back?
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 11:09:22 am »
Yes I see you what you mean.It was'nt dry fired at all.This one though is not cracked at the growth ring and it does'nt show a crack on top either.It's sinewed under there though and the wood is hickory.9gpp arrow is far from dry firing yet too.Thanks for the comment though.The bow has around 8" of reflex so when it slams home yes it's hitting hard I guess.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 11:13:52 am »
Josh...Good point man.Glad to hear that worked for you.So this next one has 2" fades instead of 1.5" fades and I suppose I'll have to go with a smaller grip also.The darn bow was a favorite and kinda kicked me in the gut doing that....lol.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 11:17:14 am »
bjrogg....No the tips did'nt hit anything.Did'nt even make a sound.I happened just to see it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 11:19:52 am »
Josh....You got a pic of your handles done that way?I figure start my arrow pass carve out at the point where it is close to the full depth of my handle then too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 11:29:25 am »
Been told too to take even amounts off from the center line to get to arrow pass.Then of course no more close to center shot.Which I can definitely live with if need be just need to make special set of arrows for a paticular bow then.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 11:35:26 am »
Both of these are actually longer than they needed to be, but show the general idea.  Josh

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 11:37:11 am »
Ed maybe that crack started when you warmed it up to reflex it and you didn't get a good eye on it until now? That condition would look much like a dry fire crack would.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 11:45:55 am »
Thanks Josh.How long is that handle then altogether?
Pearl....Not sure what you mean warming it up to reflex it.During construction?Geeze I'm sure that is'nt it.I'm sure I'm misunderstanding your meaning.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 11:48:30 am »
Yah, maybe it was too hot or not quite hot enough when you clamped the reflex in that area on a caul and the pressure popped the grain, then after a bunch of shooting it started showing itself. 

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 11:53:48 am »
Oh ok I see what you mean now.Well the reflex I put on this one was put by reverse stringing and sinewing from a flat profile bow core but pre tapered to bend evenly on both limbs gradually increasing in reflex to the tip.No heat involved for reflex.
BowEd
Ed