Author Topic: cyprus?  (Read 3719 times)

Offline sailordad

cyprus?
« on: March 07, 2008, 09:53:03 pm »
well in my endeavors to find some wood to play with.
a dude i work with said that his brother is going to send him some Cyprus,from a house hes building in GA.
i think this is going to be in board form,the guy from work wasn't real sure if it was board or log,i just assume board form since it is from the building of a home.
just  wondering if its any good to try and make a board bow or possibly a backed board bow.
so once again i need to pick the brains of the more knowledgeable here. if its just a waste of my time or a possible good project let me know please.
thanks again.

PEACE,
                                                                                          Tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: cyprus?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 11:01:24 pm »
 It depends on which Cypress it is. Bob's played with it a lot. I haven't.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 10:36:22 pm »
No bow experience with cypress, but plenty of carpentry exp.  On a house we just restored we had to use cypress shakes, and exterior trim.  Tons of it.  It came from Florida.  It was super oily.  It was by far the most unstable wood I have ever worked with.  When the stuff would get wet it would move unbelievable amounts.  If you make a bow out of it I would imagine you would want to be real particular about sealing it. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 07:49:42 pm »
Cyprus is the same as Gopher wood....Noah used it to build a big boat ;) :D :o....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 07:51:09 pm »
Bob talks about it alot he will know
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 06:40:44 am »
Tim.......Cypress in board form I am not familiar with ( except wormy cypress ) as I have only used it in log form. Ya need bald NOT pond.That being said ya need ta try it out ifn ya get a good piece ( straight grain etc. ) Cypress chrystals on the belly on hunting weight bows after about one year.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Rick.........All the shakes shipped outta Florida are pond cypress not bald. The wood is not as tension strong  as the bald cypress. There are tree farms that grow this tree strictly fer this market. Plantation trees growth patterns are altered so they grow faster.                                                                                                                                                                                                                              bob................