Author Topic: Finding an osage stave  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Hickoryswitch

Finding an osage stave
« on: March 13, 2008, 12:36:14 am »
Does anyone know where i could find a Osage stave? I would like to have one that a beginner could work without to much trouble. I don't know much about Osage other than everyone says its really hard to work compared to white woods.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Finding an osage stave
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 12:50:44 am »
I think its easier to work. Its just that you have to chase a heart wood ring with Osage, and on a white wood you just peel the bark and you got your back. As far as finding a stave you might try ebay if you cant cut any locally.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 12:58:03 am »
try ebay ,I actually think Osage is easer than hickory nothing to chasing a growth ring its kinda like layers of graham crackers and marshmallows just make sure you have one solid Graham cracker
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Sleddman

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 01:06:33 am »
Depending where you live and can't find Osage, you can go to one of the on line auctions. But most wood is most likely cut within the past six months or even less. You will have to wait for it to dry or reduce it down to a oversized bow and read on how to push the drying time down to a few months.  As far as Osage being hard to work, well that's all I have worked with and have made three bows so far. The art is new to me so I just take it slow and do as much research as possible. My very first bow may not be 100% to the books but it turned out to be 60 lbs. at 26" and is only 58 " long.  I have used it for two years now and I love shooting it. Take your time and get the growth ring right.  And if your like me I begged my friends for a stave, LOL. I do have a couple I have put to the side for a day I can say I think I know what I'm doing :-\  Till than I'll work on the ones that were meant for the fireplace. So far I have saved three.  Good luck