Author Topic: Plum ALB  (Read 5596 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Plum ALB
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 08:08:40 pm »
Cool.So you had about a good inch of wood thickness to add more wood onto the handle then to get your finished handle thickness?What kind of wood add on did you use?That no set makes me smile.That length makes em an all day shooter for sure.I've got a KCT bow D/R holmgaard 68" TTT that just shoots sweeter than honey too.
Well you've been working wonders with shorty osages and I remember you wanted one completely as a self bow.No backing at all.We could work something out in the future probably.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 08:25:31 pm by Beadman »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 08:30:23 pm »
Very nice looking bow. Great job

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 08:38:47 pm »
bj, I'll bet dollars to donuts it's out there, but it is hard to find. Around here it likes shrubland and transitions into thicker woods where there's small pools of standing water. It grows between the pools.

Ed, that KCT bow sounds like money in the bank. That's another wood I've always wanted to try, but certainly will never find up here so... I'll look for some more plum and you look for the KCT and... you get the picture.  ;) One thing about plum is it does check like crazy and while it was drying a crack developed lengthwise on the handle which lead to that handle-wood popping clear off during tillering. So I just glued it right back on and wrapped with sinew. No other wood added. As for the no set, yeah I did okay with the tillering but I think plum's so good in compression that I really can't take that much credit. Others have said they got almost no set with plum either.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 09:46:45 pm »
Plum has it's fickleness then but just while drying.KCT does grow here naturally.It turns a violet pinkish color when heat treated and likes it.The woods got a good cast.Pretty decent bow wood really.I'll keep an eye out for some.Spring is around the corner here.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Greenriverwoodcraft

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2017, 09:53:42 pm »
Great looking bow!  Never tried plum but now its on my to do list if i could just find some.  Glad to see that rosewood going to such good use.

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2017, 10:36:23 pm »
Great looking bow, and like others have said nice save!
Northern Ute

Offline xin

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 12:57:57 am »
KCT?

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 07:01:56 am »
KCT = Kenntucky Coffee Tree

Hey man you are really a machine! Are you doing something different than bow building?
Good looking bow btw., I too like wild plum. Too bad they like to check and twist.

I looked again and again at the fd pic, can't help the lower limb looks longer than the upper - or have you canted the bow?
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2017, 07:33:44 am »
Thanks a bunch Greenriver. That rosewood does look awesome. Thanks Redhand. I love the bend on that one you just posted.

Simson, I'm a teacher and do bows in my spare time. We just had a huge windstorm on Wednesday of last week and there was no school on Thursday or Friday so that left me a lot of time for  :BB not to mention a ton of downed sugar maple to start splitting! Believe it or not the bow is totally symmetrical. I propped the phone/camera up and set a timer on it, so the angle could be off. Anyway, thanks for looking!

"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Badger

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2017, 09:03:18 am »
 Very nice job, I love plum.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2017, 09:37:06 am »
Very well done.  Good looking bow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2017, 09:58:24 am »
Fine looking bow upstate

Offline DuBois

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2017, 10:03:48 am »
Very fine work! Way to stick to it and get a great bow!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2017, 11:35:48 am »
Badger, Marc, Aaron and DuBois, thanks very much for the encouragement.  :)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Greenriverwoodcraft

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2017, 09:52:45 pm »
Hey Upstate what do you teach?  I'm a shop teacher myself (woodshop and engineering) here in western Mass and like you I love the time it affords me.  I'll be in the basement tomorrow with this huge storm coming working on one of 4 bows I got going right now.