Author Topic: New bowyer, unexpected staves  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Red Arrow

New bowyer, unexpected staves
« on: March 15, 2017, 07:36:55 am »
Well, a guy from the power company stopped by a few days ago to tell me they were going to be cutting down the sapplings growing around the edge of my pond under the power lines. (They also cut down my neighbors bamboo garden which I'm sorting through now for good arrow shafts and flutes.) Anyway, I woke up yesterday and went outside to find not only the saplings cut down, but also a mature malburry tree (already completely chipped up) and another tree I haven't identified yet which I stopped them from chipping up. They were just getting ready to start cutting down my walnut tree so I made them leave the trunk of it as well. Between the 2 trees I should be able to get at least a dozen or more good staves to put up for next year. Add those to the persimmon staves I'll be getting and I guess I'm all set to really get into bowery next year.

I'm picking up a seasoned hickory stave later today I should be able to get 2 bows out of. Now I need 1 or 2 other types of wood, already seasoned, to make bows out of this year while my own staves dry out for next year. I want to do a build along so I can get tips and advices from some of you guys. But, I haven't been able to post any pics here.
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline gfugal

Re: New bowyer, unexpected staves
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 08:19:14 am »
You probably just need to reduce the size of the pictures. If you open paint, which most computers should have, there is a resize option. Redice it down so it's less than 250 kbs in size.
 You have to save after each reduce to see the new file size
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 09:10:22 am »
Thanks. I just use my phone though so I don't have paint.
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 09:52:31 am »
I use the app 'simple resize' and it works well for me. I size then down to 360x640. Somewhere in that realm anyway. It'll vary a little bit depending on the picture, but once you have it set, it'll stay where you put it.

Kyle

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 09:54:54 am »
Thanks. I'll try it
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 02:12:51 pm »
Too bad you missed out on the mulberry!  But, good luck on all the rest.