Author Topic: Plum ALB  (Read 5345 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Plum ALB
« on: March 12, 2017, 01:57:54 pm »
Osage may be king, and Yew Queen, but Plum deserves a title as well.

After years of wanting to try this wood, I finally got my hands on a nice, fairly straight sapling about 2" in diameter. Before I set to work I reread Baker's description and recommendations for working it and decided to rough out a bow right away.

As for thickness and width I kinda just went with my gut keeping it as wide as possible (a little less than 1.5") out to mid limbs, then tapered down to a little less than 3/8" at the tips.

Once she was roughed out I weighed her, and clamped her down to avoid warping. I let her dry for about 2 weeks (Baker says a roughed out bow should dry in about 10 days).

I then checked the weight, waited another week and checked the weight again. It had not changed, so I set about tillering. I must have gotten lucky cause it took very little removal to get it braced and drawing close to 27" at about 55 pounds. However...

I had cut temporary nocks and as I was pulling on her, the string loop forced one end to "de-laminate" on a growth ring about 6" down the bow from the tip. So I glued it up with CA, wrapped it with sinew and put overlays on. The handle wood also popped off, so I glued that up and wrapped it with sinew as well. Both fixes appear to have worked cause I've been shooting the bow for days and have had no issues.

Man does it shoot comfortably, fast, and quiet. The bow took absolutely no set at all... astounding.

67" ntn
rosewood tip overlays (thanks to Greenriver)
hemp handle wrap
flemish twist string
54# @ 27"
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Plum ALB
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 01:58:28 pm »
a few more
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline FilipT

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 02:06:44 pm »
Plums look beautiful in color and you did a really nice job. Too bad its very difficult to find proper piece to use as it grows around here all twisted and bent.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 02:08:52 pm »
Congratulations.Always good to see a bow make it from a couple of minor fixes.Spot on tiller.One of these days I'll get ahold of some plum too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 02:21:57 pm »
Nice job. I've got a piece of plum waiting in the wings but it isn't as straight as that :(.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 02:31:00 pm by DC »

Offline Morgan

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 02:25:49 pm »
Very well done

Offline Strelets

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 02:28:46 pm »
A good-looking bow. Was this wild plum (Prunus spinosa, aka sloe or blackthorn) or a cultivated variety?

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 02:35:50 pm »
Thank you guys.

Strelets, it's American Plum (Prunus americana), which is the only species we have here in NY.

DC, It's an awesome bow wood. Get the piece outta waiting and into the shop!  :BB

Ed, I'll remember you'd like to try it and if I come across any more I'll set some aside for ya  ;)

Thanks Stalker and Morgan  :)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 02:47:39 pm »
Nice job on that one.  The tiller looks really good.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 03:02:47 pm »
Nice work. Plum is beautiful wood, I'm about to get into my plum stash as well

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 03:34:15 pm »
Another nice one congrats  (R
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 03:48:50 pm »
Nice tiller upstate. That plum has nice color. The stuff I have has a lot of purples and pinks in it. Can't wait to try some of mine either. Cheers- Brendan

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 04:24:57 pm »
Plum is indeed marvellous bow wood. I'm finishing one myself. Can't wait to get her sister started as well.
Beautiful job and good repair!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 04:26:45 pm »
Thank you kindly once again. BTW the bow string is made from BCY DynaFLIGHT 97.

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 08:00:16 pm »
She looks plum crazy upstate. I've got my eyes out for plum to. Not sure I'll ever find any and if I do I doubt it'll be Wild. When I was a kid we had one growing by our old shop but I'm pretty sure my grandpa planted it. I've never seen a wild one around here.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise