Author Topic: so I went to the archery range today/ New Pictures  (Read 8330 times)

Offline jeffp51

so I went to the archery range today/ New Pictures
« on: March 12, 2017, 12:46:13 am »
first time at the archery range.  I wanted to see how they would react to my home made gear. One older guy working there liked the look of my stuff and the next thing I know, he is pulling out a 1953 Bear Kodiak recurve.  It has a tip overlay that he glued back on crooked, and said he would never shoot it again, so if I wanted it, I could have it.  I figured I could find a good home for it.  I am thinking about putting it up for trade here.  Do you think anyone would be interested? What would it be worth in trade?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 07:56:51 pm by mullet »

Offline bubby

Re: so I went to the archery range today
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 12:56:06 am »
Mullet collects bear bows, not saying he will want this one but
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 04:11:10 am »
I'd love to have it but I don't know if I'd have anything worth trading for it.
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 06:50:02 am »
I am interested in it.  I have no idea of the value of a bow like that though.  PM sent
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 08:35:32 am »
That is quite a design to mimic maybe with a laminated wood bow.Looking kinda just like Marcs' recurves really.Love these new emoitcoms or whatever you call them. :BB
When ever I break my next bow I'll use this one :-K
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 09:48:13 am »
That is quite a design to mimic maybe with a laminated wood bow.Looking kinda just like Marcs' recurves really.Love these new emoitcoms or whatever you call them. :BB
When ever I break my next bow I'll use this one :-K
That does look a lot like Marc's profile. I bet Marc has a nicer full draw profile though😊
 :-K this one is actually for knapping Ed but I understand what your saying, any knappers really understand this one lol.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline sonny

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 02:26:42 pm »

there's no way I'd get rid of that bow..

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 09:51:23 pm »
You have a classic,,,is it a shooter? I have redone bows in much worse shape(I don't call myself a restorer) think about what you have ,,,just sayin,,,jeffw

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 10:43:30 pm »
Looks more like a 1959 Kodiak. I would hang on to that bow and use it.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 11:10:55 pm »
Looks a lot like my green Kodiak LH, not sue of the year - I would say Hang one on to it and find out if it a shooter or a wall hanger.  Might be of value either way.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 01:28:11 am »
I did some digging today, and my best guess is that it is either 1960 or 61--based on the badge inlay. similar bows on the auction site are going for between $200 and $800 dollars.  It still looks sound with the exception of the tip overlay that needs re-working.  A couple of people have expressed interest and I wouldn't mind seeing this go to a good home to someone who would really appreciate it.  If I want to shoot fiberglass, I have a bow from my father that has a lot more sentimental value to me.  I would hate to see this one gather dust.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 04:02:49 pm »
JEB beat me to it. Hang onto that. I'd feel bad if I was able to beat you out of it. That's the Holy Grail for Kodiak collectors if it is a 59. I have a 58 and 60. I would like a 59, though, I shelled out the $700 for the new Reproduction by Bear.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 05:36:23 pm »
JEB beat me to it. Hang onto that. I'd feel bad if I was able to beat you out of it. That's the Holy Grail for Kodiak collectors if it is a 59. I have a 58 and 60. I would like a 59, though, I shelled out the $700 for the new Reproduction by Bear.

Mullet,
It has an inset aluminum badge.  The markings are screen printed--from what I can find on the interwebs, that makes it sound like a '60 or '61.  How can you tell if it is a '59?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 06:52:34 pm »
You are probably right, but you can't go by the coin all of the time.Most 59's had red/white overlays and occasionally brown/white. Also a copper coin with the logo on the back of the limb.The 59 had a six inch site window under 50# and a four inch one for heavier bows.

60's , most of them had aluminum coins and a more pronounced recurve profile with black/white overlays.Both had brown and orange glass on the belly.

Both years are highly sought after and sweet shooting bows with the 60 being known as the best shooter.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 08:45:38 pm »
There seems to be a fair amount of interest in this bow, so I thought I would post a few more pictures and see if anyone recognizes anything