Author Topic: Drawing bows why are women so different?  (Read 9657 times)

Offline jeffp51

Re: Drawing bows why are women so different?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 09:16:46 am »
I heard Amazon women would cut off certain parts to better with a bow. I don't know how true that is but if my goods were in the way I might choose a more favorable angle. Maybe subconscious? Don't know.

That is stupid urban myth. There are lots of these weird myths about ancient times that have no basis in reality.

It isn't an urban myth, it is ancient Greek mythology, and the amazons in question came from Scythia, a bow shooting culture. Lots of references to them in the literature. They supposedly cut off a breast to shoot better. Of course there is no way to know if that is true or artistic embellishment, but either way I bet they shot with proper form
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 11:12:18 pm by jeffp51 »

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 07:16:31 pm »
Men who never held a bow also draw to the chest while being somewhat squared off to the target. The stance sort of reminds me of the way one might hold a rifle.

Then again I've seen a guy not understand what the buttstock on an air gun is for and try to use it like a shouldered missile launcher of some sort.  Not to mention sticking his eye to the scope. While a woman knew exactly what she was doing.

It's all in the upbringing and training one gets. And that's with all the cultural exposure to the modern weapons.

Now that's funny!!!!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 07:37:24 pm »
I heard Amazon women would cut off certain parts to better with a bow. I don't know how true that is but if my goods were in the way I might choose a more favorable angle. Maybe subconscious? Don't know.

That is stupid urban myth. There are lots of these weird myths about ancient times that have no basis in reality.

If this did in fact happen cauterization was more likely at a young age than having mature women doing crude mastectomies.

It isn't an urban myth, it is ancient Greek mythology, and the amazons in question came from Scythia, a bow shooting culture. Lots of references to them in the literature. They supply cut off a breast to shoot better. Of course there is no way to know if that is true or artistic embellishment, but either way I bet they shot with proper form

Online Selfbowman

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 06:50:47 am »
Rps3  that's what I have noticed also. I think it is a strength thing. But those iny elbows are painful. Most of the time I catch them before they let the string go and warn them. Some know it alls I just let them feel the pain and tell them I bet you won't do that again. What I have noticed is most women take direction better than men . Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline rps3

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 10:15:27 am »
For sure Arvin, my wife and sister had some pretty nasty bruises. I also tend to increase the brace height a bit for them.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2017, 11:30:38 am »
Yeah, the elbow thing is actually a biomechanical difference between men and women, most women have elbows that locks at an angle much past where most men's elbows locks.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 01:44:51 pm »
Yeah, the elbow thing is actually a biomechanical difference between men and women, most women have elbows that locks at an angle much past where most men's elbows locks.

Ah, that's the kind of info I wondered about.

Offline PatM

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 04:01:38 pm »
That "biomechanical difference" is more of a muscle tone difference.  Hyperextension is less common in females who do physical work or exercise. It is also common in men who have never had to do anything physical.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 05:42:56 pm »
It isn't an urban myth, it is ancient Greek mythology, and the amazons in question came from Scythia, a bow shooting culture. Lots of references to them in the literature. They supposedly cut off a breast to shoot better. Of course there is no way to know if that is true or artistic embellishment, but either way I bet they shot with proper form

I know its an ancient Greek mythology, but what I want to say is that there is no reason to believe in all female warrior group that cuts off their breasts. Its beyond ridiculous.
Same thing how they say abduction of Sabine women is real event.

Breasts don't really much hinder draw. And even if they would have been too big, they wouldn't certainly cut one of it.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2017, 09:03:08 pm »

I know its an ancient Greek mythology, but what I want to say is that there is no reason to believe in all female warrior group that cuts off their breasts. Its beyond ridiculous.

Breasts don't really much hinder draw. And even if they would have been too big, they wouldn't certainly cut one of it.

Says the one packing the sac:)

Offline PatM

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2017, 09:10:14 pm »

Have you ever seen what people will do to their bodies? Preventing a breast from ever developing is  nothing dramatic.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2017, 11:30:27 pm »
I certainly don't have breasts  ::), but i have a large ribcage and my barell chest gets in the way of my draw a bit until i learned how to adjust for it. So i imagine something that proteudes a bit more could be problematic until they learn to adjust.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2017, 01:28:48 am »
Personal experience has been that boys/girls who are little involved in ball-throwing sports naturally shoot a bow with toes pointed more/less at target and draw to chest. While those involved in such sports adopt more "traditional" stance and will, if bow allows, try to pull string to their ear!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2017, 04:12:47 am »
Just my opinion of course, but:-
I think we are in danger of falling into the trap of thinking there is a "correct". There isn't! It depends on the bow, the archer, the circumstances and how they have learned.
Take an olympic archer give 'em a short primitive bow and stick 'em in the bush waiting for small game and see what good "form" does for them. Stick him on a roving marks course with a long draw Korean bow and see how they do.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 07:56:33 am »
Just my opinion of course, but:-
I think we are in danger of falling into the trap of thinking there is a "correct". There isn't! It depends on the bow, the archer, the circumstances and how they have learned.
Take an olympic archer give 'em a short primitive bow and stick 'em in the bush waiting for small game and see what good "form" does for them. Stick him on a roving marks course with a long draw Korean bow and see how they do.
Del
I know what everyone is saying  and for most of the people they are talking about I believe their form is wrong for their bow. I do agree with Del though. For shooting odd positions like from tree stand I like short draw bow. It's just easier to get full draw when you can't turn sideways to target
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise