Author Topic: I Call Upon This Community For All The Favors  (Read 3461 times)

Offline RedSpectre

Re: I Call Upon This Community For All The Favors
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 03:25:03 pm »
This reminds of the story of the motorist in Ireland who stops to ask the way.. the pedestrian scratches his chin and says:-
"Ah, to be sure, if I were you I wouldn't start from here" :)
Seems to me you are wanting to start from the wrong place...
Forget ILF, takedowns, impregnated stuff.
Get back to basics, what is a bow for? How has mankind managed to make 'em for millenia?
How did you make a bow as a kid? Just do the same but using the skills and knowledge you have accumulated over the years... don't confuse complexity with quality or performance.
Keep it simple.
The clue is in the forum title...  ;)
If that sounds too negative, don't despair, there is plenty of time to make fancy stuff once you have mastered the basics, say a 40# 62" long simple board bow or bow from a nice clean stave.
We learn from our mistakes and a complicated design will have complicated mistakes which may be beyond your understanding.
The key thing is training your eye to see the simple even curve of a bow. Your artists eye may pick it up quickly>
Good luck.
Del

Thanks.  You are absolutely right.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 03:29:59 pm »
It starts with a piece of wood. It can be a board but it should be one that has pretty straight grain in all directions. I haven't built from board, just staves ( basically logs). Not sure how much you know if anything. Have you watched any YouTube?
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 03:40:16 pm »
Welcome there is some good build alongs on the how to page also I dont know what you have for reading material but the TBB series might be a good place to start I would keep your first bow as simple as possible maybe a bend threw the handle d bow this craft can be deceptive there is a lot to learn & some hard knocks to take for most along the way not being negitive just honest there is a lot that cant really be taught other then hands on exsperience good luck with your build !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline RedSpectre

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 03:41:32 pm »
It starts with a piece of wood. It can be a board but it should be one that has pretty straight grain in all directions. I haven't built from board, just staves ( basically logs). Not sure how much you know if anything. Have you watched any YouTube?
Bjrogg

I do most of the time.  Ive honestly never built one in my life, but Id love to start.  Im from New York City and you'd think they have resources here but ironically enough they don't.   Or if they do, you're paying an arm and a leg for basics.
All the money and time can be spent just getting the tools and getting my hands dirty.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 03:47:17 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/board,6.0.html is the link to the build-a-longs on this site.  There are thread building selfbows, laminated bows, and tri-lam bows... have fun.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 06:02:12 pm »
There are good threads on this site and also some pretty decent YouTube videos. The video helped me get a understanding of the basics and the terminology of making bows. This site helped me greatly improve all aspects of my knapping, arrow and bow making, and even my hunting. If you can get to one of the primitive meets, I highly recommend it. Once again good luck, I'm sure you can do it if you stick with it. My first bow broke after about 150 shoots but by then I was hooked.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 07:48:59 pm »
This is such an awesome, challenging, addicting, rewarding and ever-evolving hobby to get into. When I think back over the years two suggestions come to mind... keep your enthusiasm and never give up. A wood bow looks so simple and easy to make, but it's not! So many things I've had to learn the hard way. One of the well-respected and experienced members here says, "if you ain't breakin, you ain't makin. He's right.

Hopefully you'll stay with it and we'll hear about your progress as your journey continues. Cheers! :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Parnell

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2017, 10:47:30 am »
NYC!  I think you are the first person I've seen over the years.  I'm not surprised at all to read you are challenged to find the resources to get started.  Honestly, that area of the country NYC area/NJ/Connecticut is remarkably underrepresented which I think is very interesting.

Anyhow, do you have much space?  All materials needed can be ordered and you've come to the right place.  There are guys from all over the country that can help you and I'd get a major kick out of seeing an Osage self bow representing the NYC!

I recommend people start with a good stave.  Too many have the logic of "I don't want to ruin it" but I say...garbage in = garbage out.

Let me know if I can help answer questions regarding materials, your starting point, etc.,  please feel free to PM me.  I lived in NYC for awhile in the 90's and appreciate your pursuit.

Stephen Parnell

P.s. Good luck, hope you enjoy the ride...be warned, it can be highly addictive!
1’—>1’