Author Topic: CDL holders here?  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Tracker0721

CDL holders here?
« on: March 05, 2017, 05:14:35 pm »
I like driving, made I think 6 cross country trips and turn only 23 in a couple weeks, drove bradleys trucks and humvees and just was told if I get my class B CDL I could get a job as a garbage truck driver(good pay and full benefits and local) or a water tender on fire(current job is wildland fire). So my question is should I do the extra school and money to get my A now even though I only need a B or should I just stick with the B and get my A later if I wanna try that? Or should I not even think about the A because I have 4 jobs I could do locally with a B that will be here forever
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline bubby

Re: CDL holders here?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 10:16:42 pm »
Yes sir you should😉, the more you can do, the more you are worth
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 11:22:04 pm »
Get it if you are able and keep it active.  That A might open more doors for you than the B.  I don't have a CDL but a lot of my coworkers do.  Hopefully Gun Doc will see this and offer his advice. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 05:02:49 am »
Yep get the A, not much different than the work it takes to get the B. I was a 3rd party examiner for 14 years and if a man really studies and works at it neither are hard to get and a class A is much more sought after, as far as job opportunity's.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline feathersnwood

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 06:45:31 am »
Ya get the A . Opens a lot more doors and you never know what might happen in the future .
lets get back to the basics

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 07:37:30 am »
I've got a B but only because I was Grandfathered in when we had to get CDL's. Hoping to give it up this year.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 08:18:30 am »
Guess I have X I think. I have endorsements for tanker, doubles flat bed used to have hazardous but dropped it. Couldn't pay me enough to drive school bus if the kids are as bad as we were.lol. I really don't know difference between a -b but I'd say go for it. Good truck drivers are in demand. All my endorsements get kinda pricey but they make you more valuable too.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 08:28:35 am »
Guess I was wrong or maybe they changed it. Now it says type CA  endorsements CY, NT and I need to renew this year to.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 09:18:10 am »
I have everything but Hazmat also, it don't cost anymore than a regular Class A to keep. I dropped Hazard because you have to update that every 2 years so I let that go away. It is just a matter of a 20 question test for each endorsement so I got them all when I got my first CDL in 95.I think for tankers you have to have held a Class A for at least a year before you can get that one but I knew someone  >:D and got them all at once..  ;) Not sure how it is everywhere else but here around Nashville if you have a Class A with a good driving record you can get a job anytime and a good one to boot. :) Even though I plan on retiring in Sept. I plan on keeping mine until I can't pass the physical any more. You just never know what life holds in store. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 12:34:50 pm »
Tracker,
I agree with the others who say get the highest level you can, the CDL A with endorsements is more valuable.  If you went through the 88M course(ARMY) or any other branch truck driving school, and still have your military license, you may be qualified already, check with your state motor vehicle office.  I sort of screwed up and did not roll mine over in '91, when I had a chance, as I was not planning on driving commercially.  Might have helped after I retired from employment counseling.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 01:54:40 am »
Looks like I'm going to school for my A! 4 grand and 4 weeks is all it is, gonna live in my camper to save some money haha. Thanks everyone for the replies! Any more helpful tips are welcome
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 12:41:39 pm »
I have had my CDL for 21 years since I left my last job, I have only used it once or twice since but it I kept it active in case of a need for a job. I would go for the A also.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 03:12:15 am »
Get the A  - always work to be found. I never had any endorsesments - I was a Switcher for close to 18 yrs. Took care of 3 plants swapping trailers in & out of Dock - never a dull moment. Now I'm Retired, I'm going to let My CDL lapse and just get a standard license in August - Hell, I bet I couldn't pass the medical test any more  :laugh: ! Good Luck - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 09:07:57 am »
Sanitation company just gave me a letter! Promise that they'll hire me and pay my school fee to get my A! Get to drive garbage truck in a county where it's a half mile between pick ups and once a week I haul across the state, sounds good to me!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 09:09:38 am »
Congratulations
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left