Author Topic: Sinew Processes ?  (Read 30669 times)

Offline gorazd

Re: Sinew Processes ?
« Reply #120 on: March 31, 2017, 07:13:55 am »
PatM ... when doing sinewing I used your style (with bands and sheets) + korean style ...... puting the combed bundle  then overlaping the next one about 5cm ... but I noticed that on the overlaping place I have got a step and had problem removing excess glue under the first bundle in overlap....

On second layer sinewing (one week later) I compressed (only with elastic bandage) each combed bundle  - wait an hour and then did the overlap. Now the steps are not visible on overlap places .... will see what will be out of it

I plan my third  layer on this weekend.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #121 on: March 31, 2017, 08:23:01 am »
I've never used beef leg tendon but would'nt shy from it.I've used long beef and buffalo backstrap.I'm not surprised as to beef tendons' thickness.An ounce of stripped sinew from a tendon is pretty good in my world.
I always try like heck to get that Y seperated on leg tendons right off the bat for more longer strands.Does'nt always work but lots of times it does with some persuading.Always have use for the shorter ones too.Even 3" long.
Good luck with your bow gorazd.
Made some sinew glue the other day in a pot from my scraps.Ended up with 4 ounces of first pouring dried glue.Did'nt pour it thick enough to gell.Only 1/4".Next time a good 1/2".Cut a criss cross pattern ended up with what I call corn flakes.They'll dizzolve quicker in water and work though.
Poured it into tin foil cookie and cake pans.Gelled some after an hour but not enough to cut up.Put it in frig and it gelled quickly.With spatula took out little squares of gelled glue.Laid it on a sheet of thin garbage bag cut open to make it large on a table.Took a couple days to dry hard though.Does'nt stick too bad to that thin plastic at all.
Theoretically should be enough to do at least 3 bows.I hope.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:30:11 am by Beadman »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline willie

« Reply #122 on: March 31, 2017, 01:22:04 pm »
Beadman

when making sinew glue, how do you tell when it is done cooking? 

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #123 on: March 31, 2017, 02:30:31 pm »
I first soaked my sinew a good 12 hours before heating it.You can add a little lye to the mixture to break the sinew down more but need to rinse it then too.I stew the sinew in enough water to cover and then some at 170 degrees F for a good 12 hours with no lid on the pot at least for a first pouring of glue.It's supposed to be the best.You can stew it 24 hours for more by adding more water.Too hot will weaken the glue so don't let it go above 170 degrees F. and if the water is not rolling be sure to stir it every half an hour.Otherwise a film of glue will develop on top and your glue will get too hot.I just glanced at Tim Bakers' way in the glue chapter of TBB book.
BowEd
Ed

Offline willie

« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2017, 02:42:35 pm »
Glue---TBB1, thanks   

so different qualities of glue come from different  "pours"?    Do you find working differences in addition to finish/strength qualities?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2017, 02:51:41 pm »
What's said in the book I think is right.Hide glue of any pour should be good enough for self bows.The more sinewed bows you make the more you know.I've personally never seen hide glue fail yet or a bow fail because of the hide glue.
The differences are told in the smell of it when preparing.If it stinks bad it's no good.If it smells rather pleasant at least to my nose it's good.
BowEd
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #126 on: March 31, 2017, 03:09:50 pm »
And you can add onions and make soup ;D  Is there a limit to the number of pours? How do you know when to stop?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #127 on: March 31, 2017, 04:50:45 pm »
It is edible or it won't kill ya anyway.I could'nt tell ya if there's a limit.I'm sure there is.2 pourings is enough for me.It's kinda of a long process.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #128 on: March 31, 2017, 05:16:03 pm »
I would have to be pretty Hungary to eats some , I'm going shopping with my wife tomorrow to suburb a couple towns over that has a korean market I'm going to stop in and see if they have any fish bladders does any body know what kind of bladders are best ? One of my coworkers told me you can find them in health food stores but have never seen them there.

If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #129 on: March 31, 2017, 05:59:49 pm »
You know that's a good idea to do Ritch.I'd like to have a little fish bladder glue around myself.Need to go to the city I quess.Catfish,gillbacker,and croaker air bladders.I'd take the TBB 1 book with and show them the picture in the book.Good glue ought to be able to gell even at a low concentration within an hour in a frig for sure.Otherwise it's no good.
BowEd
Ed

Offline gorazd

« Reply #130 on: March 31, 2017, 06:06:50 pm »
StickBender :  about fish glue
I have managed to extract good glue from catfish bladders . Catfish is pretty common fish in rivers and lakes here in Europe and grow big ... 10 or 20 kg catfish is pretty regular catch in summer...

On first pictures is bladder from 15kg catfish ... bladder is around 20cm long
Second picture dried bladders...
I cook and chopp them in blender and cook them again ... .all about 6-8 hours-  yield is pretty good  I guess better as in doing hide or sinew glue

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2017, 06:07:15 pm »
From what I read on google though fish bladders can be hard to get maybe even illegal.
BowEd
Ed

Offline gorazd

« Reply #132 on: March 31, 2017, 06:18:45 pm »
Beadman :

Catfish has no natural enemy - and is not protected in countries in Europe (as far I know)...
Fishermen catch them quite often and is seen as biggest predator.
Meat is good for eat - but bladders are thrown away - I have contacted them and they spare the bladders for me when there is some catch ...

Try to contact some local fishermen ... You have big lakes/rivers in USA and there should be huge catfish for sure !  ::)

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #133 on: March 31, 2017, 06:24:48 pm »
Gorazd that's a pretty nice big cat you caught there good info maybe I will get my fishing pole out and try some around here again I use to have real good luck using congealed chicken blood worked really well Ed I will let you know if I have any luck bet I could find them in China Town down town it's a big area here in Chicago lots of those type stores Gorazd did you ever do any mixing of the fish & hide glue or what is your exsperience with gel times & use Ect ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline PatM

« Reply #134 on: March 31, 2017, 06:26:53 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised if most bladders will make good enough glue. A lot of "trash" fish have a good sized bladder too.