Author Topic: Sinew Processes ?  (Read 30608 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Sinew Processes ?
« on: March 05, 2017, 08:48:55 am »
Hi Fellas I just got this bow all ready this week end to degrease and get the sinew on over the next week or so I was planing on reverse stringing in another 2 in of reflex for a total of about 4 1/2.in I was planing on using the Adam Korpowitz  method of adding more reflex after jelling to put the sinew into compretion  I know Adam spoke to not wrapping the sinew in his book but with all the interest in sinew lately I was wondering what methods others prefer ? This is only my third sinew bow & thought It might be a interesting topic for technics & tips ?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 08:59:24 am by Stick Bender »
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Sinew Processes ?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 09:31:54 am »
You know my opinion Ritch.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 10:45:54 am »
I usually do wrap a new sinew job with strips of old bed sheets to help smooth out the sinew and to be sure it stays secure to the limbs. After a few hours I remove the wrap and allow the sinew to dry and cure out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gfugal

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 11:04:55 am »
Did he give a reason not to wrap? I can't imagine it harming anything unless it slows its drying, or if you leave it on too long. But now i wonder
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 11:17:28 am »
My how to on here (somewhere) shows you a method for making your sinew practically glass smooth. It eliminates all of the pitfalls of a sinew job that people run into. Gelling too fast, too much glue, smoothness, worrying about how finely shredded the sinew is etc.

Adam is very likely using slow gelling fish bladder glue.  Not very comparable to fast gelling hide glue or Gelatin.

Offline Greenriverwoodcraft

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 11:21:05 am »
I've only sinew backed a half dozen bows and never wrapped any and I have not had any problems.  I do tie the sinew down with some with extra sinew at the tips and at the center of the handle to keep it from lifting as it dries and that seems to do the trick.

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 11:50:31 am »
Virtually no downside to wrapping and many potential benefits when combined with re-heating. Seems like an easy choice to make.

Of course if you want a typical gnarly ridged bark like job that cracks and groans..... >:D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 11:57:59 am »
The reason I use old bed sheets is because they are thin and they breathe plus I only keep the wrap on for a few hours.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 12:49:01 pm »
gfugal he does offer a lengthy exsplanation in his book to long for a thread but in a nut shell after the hide glue gels he adds additional reflex to the bow putting the sinew into compretion locking it to the core he exsplanes in detail is in his book I know some of those short 40 in. Bows are pull upwards of 130 lb and he claims that he never had a sinew failure but I don't  know if wrapping would be compatible with that method he also said there was never any evidence of wrapping in the ancient  Turk bows , but it was pretty common among Native American tribes

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 12:50:59 pm »
One reason why maybe Adam might not condone wrapping especially if it's heated is on extreme stressed designs on horn bows it should'nt be starved any of glue.A 1 to 1 ratio of sinew to glue is his reccomendation.On regular self bows less stressed I don't think it's that critical.Measuring myself on self bow designs or longer working limbs in paticular I think my ratio many times is 1 to 1/2 sinew to glue.Mass weight wise.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 12:56:30 pm »
Ok then maybe I will try the wrap method I was just attracted  to the locking to the core part  !

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 01:01:23 pm »
If any body finds a link to Patm sinew build along post it please I'm not finding it  ?

Offline gfugal

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 01:10:43 pm »
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 01:12:16 pm »
Putting the sinew into compression and "locking it to the core" is a bit of a stretch of an explanation. It's still a passive blob at that gelled stage. You're really just letting it sag into the concave of the reflexed back and preventing it from shrinking, pulling up and bridging the gap instead.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 01:18:40 pm »
The dynamics of what goes on putting sinew on before and after drying and later after shooting a bow I'm sure Adam has done more research on than anyone else on here.Although everyone is entitled to their opinion.
BowEd
Ed