Author Topic: Plains gull wing tiller?  (Read 3402 times)

Offline High-Desert

Plains gull wing tiller?
« on: March 02, 2017, 11:51:55 pm »
This is my first attempt at a plains style yew bow with setback in the handle, and I'm questioning the tiller.
It's 40" long, 1.5" wide at the handle tapering to 1/2" at the tips, 4.5 layers of sinew. The picture shows it drawn to 16" at 43 lbs. I'm guessing that I need the fades to work more and a tad more bend on the outer right limb. I don't have a braced profile pick, but can post one if needed. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Eric
Eric

Offline loon

Re: Plains gull wing tiller?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 11:56:31 pm »
Is it symmetric? It looks like the left limb is stiffer..

Offline willie

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 12:01:40 am »
how thick is it at the handle center? with such a short length, a good bit of the bow has to work, I would think, although I am not sure how much in the handle.  Do you have a model or example to work from? what finished draw length are you going for?

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 12:05:30 am »
Every time I look at the photo, which limb appears stiffer changes. I'm not sure if it's because of the slight angle of the photo. It is symmetric.
I have been looking for examples in books and online, and there seems to be a lot of variance in the types of tiller I'm seeming. I'm going for 20-21" draw
Eric

Offline willie

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 12:15:49 am »
In the photo, the limb curve looks fairly symmetrical against the grid, but the handle does not look square with the top of the grid. What happens if you flip the bow around?

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 01:54:21 am »
I like set back handles to flatten out at full draw, depending on degree.
One thing I learned building these, you don't get as much draw length as you might hope.
Draw the bow in hand for final tillering, things will change a bit from the tree

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 03:31:08 am »
Yes you need to get the handle working.
Any bow with a setback handle forces the bow to bend more in the mid/outer limbs thus storing less energy.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 09:30:07 am »
Ends are too stiff. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 10:25:55 am »
Thanks guys, I will get the handle working more.
Arvin, from what I've seen on these bows, the tips are very stiff for a good portion of the limb, anyone correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe mine are still too stuff
Eric

Offline gfugal

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 10:47:02 am »
I don't think the back is level so its created the illusion of even limb bending. This happened to me on the bow i'm currently working on. I would say the left limb is definately stiffer. You can see that the distance from the arc to mid limb on the right side is greater than the distance on the left. If you have a brace picture i think it would help.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 02:47:00 pm »
I agree inner and outers can work more

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 02:51:07 pm »
Great! Thanks everyone. I flipped the bow on the tree, and it looked the same....
I am currently working on getting the tips and handle to work a bit more. Will post some progress pictures when that happens.

Eric
Eric

Offline willie

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 04:00:15 pm »
I flipped the bow on the tree, and it looked the same

if the handle is true but the bow seat is canted, it might tilt the same.
if the tree seat is long, put something soft right at the where the pressure point on your hand wants to be, and fiddle with your nock point on the string till the handle looks level, and then flip and level the handle level again to see unequal bends.

something wonky going on, could be just the pics... just hate to see adjustments made with out seeing it a couple of ways

good quote from wiz 

Draw the bow in hand for final tillering, things will change a bit from the tree

the final tiller needs to look the way you want it to, when shot from the hand
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 06:42:03 pm by willie »

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 06:03:08 pm »
Listen to Willie!   ;D  ^^^

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 06:18:09 pm »
Willie not sure what you mean, I aim to have an equal bend on the tree, but move to only drawing it by hand for the final inches of tillering. I like to feel the balance, not just see it.