Author Topic: Rivving boards  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Morgan

Rivving boards
« on: March 01, 2017, 12:49:55 pm »
An 8" or so hackberry that I cut had a large knot on the inside  about 4' up from the butt. Couldn't see it from the bark at all. Was wondering if a guy could cut it 3' from the butt below where the grain swirls and use a froe to split boards out. Could then plane, and splice into board staves? Would this work?

Offline Springbuck

Re: Rivving boards
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 01:37:30 pm »
Should, assuming good grain everywhere else.   I'd probably have preferred to split the same section into billets and work with an intact growth ring, but you know the rules.  A little wider, little longer, and watch the grain.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 01:49:05 pm »
Boards and knots do not dwell.
With a stave you can compensate for the knot by leaving it a little wider in that spot, etc.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 02:00:16 pm »
Isn't he going to cut the knot off, George?  Leaving him with not enough length, so he wants to split "boards" out and splice them like billiets? Or, did I misunderstand?

Offline Morgan

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 02:33:41 pm »
Yes, I was going to eliminate the knot and use 3' of clear log to split planks. I could split as staves and splice, but at this point in my abilities I know I would fare better at splicing dimensional stock.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 02:54:40 pm »
Splicing as billets would not be that hard.  If you square up the sides you are off to a good start.