Author Topic: Bad,Bad Day !  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Bad,Bad Day !
« on: February 26, 2017, 01:31:38 pm »
I took this Bow out after braking in with 200 plus arrows for some 3 D shooting about 40 arrows in this is what happened , good thing it was raw hide backed or there wood be splinters it happened right in a area that the limb was a little hollow on the back , Putting it on the wall of shame & moving on , The sad thing it doesn't bother me much any more just wish it happened before I dressed it up !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Bad,Bad Day !
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 01:32:12 pm »
Back

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 02:29:20 pm »
Damn, that's tough after 200 arrows  >:(
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 02:39:09 pm »
Sorry for your loss my friend.  :(
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 02:52:47 pm »
Thanks guys you never know with these natural material bows when you least expect it expect it ,I babied this one in every phase too ,Oh well nothing ventured nothing gained !

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 03:00:36 pm »
sorry bout your bow,, I think Jawge says,, if you aint breakin you aint makin,,,

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 03:21:56 pm »
It's never easy but it happens. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 04:15:48 pm »
I think the stress is inversely proportional to the number of dry staves you have in the shop :D

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 04:39:10 pm »
I think your right DC having another peace of wood to delve into helps forget your misery  :laugh:

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 08:36:42 pm »
   Stick,
            Looking at that grain from the side profile...Did you chase a ring all the way or did you rely on rawhide...I know pictures don't do justice sometimes...From here it looks like a few rings were violated...
                                                                                   Thanks, Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 10:29:15 pm »
I'm sorry to see that.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Weylin

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 11:28:20 pm »
It was the tru oil's fault!! Just kidding.  >:D That really sucks. Looked like a real nice bow. It's a crappy feeling when your bow lets go on you.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 06:02:40 am »
Nope the ring was flawlessly chased the only reason I put raw hide on was there was a pin knot on the outer 1/3 of one limb that was on a edge that started a minor splinter , probably could have used CA and called it a day but this was to be one of my 2017 hunting bows so I didnt want to take a chance....lol but the faliure wasnt  near it , Im still figuring it out I have some suspects , this was a stave from Mo. kinda of more yellow & softer hedge maybe that played a roll to ,maybe I should have used a stave of Clints primo hedge I have around not blaming the wood but have to consider every thing but the botom line is natural materials & Bowyers are not flawless & some times you pay the cost , so you dust off and start over & take what you learned & move on !