Author Topic: Just Another Simple Osage Bow  (Read 2488 times)

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
Re: Just Another Simple Osage Bow
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 07:43:09 pm »
Nice looking bow. I like the cherry bark on it.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 08:15:22 pm »
Never mind.I found a few build-a-longs.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 11:33:45 pm »
DC, the nocks are cut in just far enough that the string stays on. I have had a string come off at full draw once and the bow came back and got me right between the eyes.  :o ouch!

Ed, I think snake skin is probably more waterproof only because the bark does have small pores. Glad you found a build along cause I never did one. Be happy to though if folks are interested.

Glad everyone likes the look of the bark on osage. The pics don't really do it justice cause the sun wasn't out. When light hits it just right all kinds of colors appear- purples, reds, blues, silver, and browns. Tung oil really brings them out. I think it's pretty functional as a backing too. It's amazingly tough stuff.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 11:47:23 pm »
Great looking bow upstate.  Nice work!
Northern Ute

Offline Greenriverwoodcraft

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2017, 11:47:46 pm »
Great bow like the simple profile both braces and drawn

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2017, 07:05:37 am »
I read that it can increase the poundage on a bow too.It's that strong.Thanks.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline loon

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017, 07:18:52 am »
DC, the nocks are cut in just far enough that the string stays on. I have had a string come off at full draw once and the bow came back and got me right between the eyes.  :o ouch!
That sounds like it could've been a lot worse.. O_o

Very nice bow

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 07:32:50 am »
Nice bend upstate. Tillering looks great. Really like the birch bark. Never did birch bark before. Do you think it would work on HHB with undulating back? Nice job keep knocking them out.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2017, 09:39:11 am »
Thanks Redhand.

Greenriver, that Osage is amazing stuff. As long as it's dry and I don't over stress the wood it holds its profile incredibly well. When the string comes off, poof... right back to where it was before.

Bead, I never read that about the poundage. Cool.

Loon, you're right sir. I guess I could have lost an eye. Counting my blessings.

bj, thanks man. It's actually cherry bark, which is a good deal tougher than birch. I'm quite sure it would work on HHB, especially if wrapped nice and tight with bike inner tubes. Bet it would look sweet against that bone-white ironwood as well. I'd be happy to send you some if it's hard to come by where you're at. I've got lots and it's cheap to ship. Just PM me. ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2017, 10:16:03 am »
Sorry about that Upstate. I knew it was cherry but somehow my brain kept typing birch. I'd like to try both some day but I do think that cherry would look sweet on some really white HHB. I know it has to be the right species of cherry. I think I have access to it but I might take you up on your generous offer.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2017, 10:18:36 am »
Sorry about that Upstate. I knew it was cherry but somehow my brain kept typing birch. I'd like to try both some day but I do think that cherry would look sweet on some really white HHB. I know it has to be the right species of cherry. I think I have access to it but I might take you up on your generous offer.
Bjrogg

PM me your info and I'll send some out this week  ;)

Nigerian Proverb