Author Topic: oak  (Read 1605 times)

Offline jayman448

oak
« on: February 25, 2017, 01:56:56 am »
found myself a nice little oak thats clear for a good six feet. how does oak like to be dried? (bark on or off) and what should one look out for when working oak?

Offline Swamp Thang

Re: oak
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 05:54:00 am »
Different oaks take on different characteristics. Are there any leave under it to identify the tree.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 06:29:39 am »
My knowledge on trees is sparce. All i kniw is it is some form  of oak...

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 07:05:00 am »
if the leaves are rounded on the ends/lobes, then it's in the white oak family, and if they have pointed ends/fake stickers, then it's one of the red oaks...after that it takes a little more knowledge to pick the variety.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 08:55:29 am »
How about a pic?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 09:06:08 am »
Wait until the growing season, if you can and the bark will slip off easily.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline jayman448

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 03:11:51 pm »
Ill get a pic up later today

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 03:24:00 pm »
I am not an expert on oak, but I dont think you could go wrong with splitting into a stave,, ends coated of course,,taking off the bark,, and coating the back,, putting in a cooo dry place to cure,, someplace not to heated,,,, if you are impatient like me,, rough it to shape of bow,, coat the back and handle area,, and it will dry faster,, strap into place so it does not twist the wrong way when drying,,

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 10:15:44 pm »
Haha learned that the hard way. First bow was probably going to be a success had it roughed out and all but as it dried it twisted so bad I couldn't work it out.

Offline loon

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 02:03:52 am »
I am not an expert on oak, but I dont think you could go wrong with splitting into a stave,, ends coated of course,,taking off the bark,, and coating the back,, putting in a cooo dry place to cure,, someplace not to heated,,,, if you are impatient like me,, rough it to shape of bow,, coat the back and handle area,, and it will dry faster,, strap into place so it does not twist the wrong way when drying,,
how do you strap it into place though?

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 04:57:20 pm »
how do you strap it into place though?

I now just clamp mine to my work table and let dry