Author Topic: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, Pictures Please, housekeeping issues  (Read 152589 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, progress updates, questions and chat
« Reply #270 on: April 28, 2017, 09:28:31 pm »
Hey everybody, it looks like you all are doing great. Way ahead of me at this point.

Well, in case It hasn't been mentioned yet... I want you all to know I've been given a bunch of stuff to pass along as incentive items for this trade. The donor would like to remain silent. Thanks Bud, you know who you are.

So here's the plan. After a few messages back and forth with Andrew, we figured he'll randomly pic a name, someone who has been posting progress pics on a regular basis, and at the end of every month I'll send out some items. Here's a pic of a small sampling of what was donated.

I believe the first winner has been chosen already, I just need to get some items in the mail. Which will likely happen in the morning. Good luck fellas!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #271 on: April 28, 2017, 09:33:02 pm »
I've got a stave roughed out but I guess I need to get busy and post some pics. 😀
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #272 on: April 28, 2017, 09:52:44 pm »
Thank you for the donations for the incentive pot, whomever you are.

And I got an update in the eye today. Everytging is helping very well. And I'm going to be getting a replacement cornea in addition to the lens. I'll be getting then at the same time, I just don't know when yet. But the doctor used a glass lens to simulate my eyes internal lens, and it didn't elp my vision any. The scarring is in the center of my field of view and covers most of it. If  the glass shard hit a few mm to any side, I would've got away without the new cornea. So once I get that surgery I'll be out of commission for a while until it heals shut and im give the OK again. So I'm glad I have my trade bow finished. But in the bright side, the doctor said I should have close to 20/20 vision when it's all healed up. Which is better than it started.

I'd like one more opinion on the trade bow, yay or nay on a handle wrap? I think it would look good with a wrap, but I'd hate to cover the look of the wood. Any opinions?

Kyle

Offline DuBois

« Reply #273 on: April 29, 2017, 08:50:06 am »
Very cool Anonymous!!

Good to hear your vision will be real good after all is said and done Kyle.
I don't think you could make that bow ugly if you tried so wrap or not, it is gonna be sweet. I'm never sure if I should try to make a bow different than my victim normally has or not.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #274 on: April 30, 2017, 07:33:17 am »
I'd say wrap it. That's just me though. I always wrap mine, mostly because they're always bendy handles and tend to be fairly small, kind of a comfort thing I guess.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #275 on: April 30, 2017, 09:12:45 am »
I ended up putting a wrap on it. from handling the handle areas while putting the truoil on, a bunch of scales were coming off that spot. This isn't the bow but I did an identical wrap after experimenting in this bow. And I just happened to have the pictures of this one on my phone. There is just enough wrap to have you hand on just the wrap but not see any seap around your hand. It took a while to figure out a halfway decent way to tie it off. Then to help keep it from slipping I soaked in some watered down TB3. It seems like it did the job of holding everything in place.

Kyle

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #276 on: April 30, 2017, 10:12:19 am »
So, the name of the first incentive recipient has been drawn out of everyone who has both sent me their address (this disqualified some of you ☹) and posted at least one photo since the trade started. Someone is gonna get something really nice really soon !

If you want it to be you at the end of this month, you need to post at least one photo between 25th of April and  25th of May and make sure I have your postal address so I can tell TD where to mail it 😀

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #277 on: April 30, 2017, 11:47:28 am »
So I have reduced the plum some more, and steamed out some of the reflex. It had about 6 1/2", now its at about 4". Also reduced the yew some more. Came across some manky knots, so I drilled them and plugged them. It's a sister stave to the one I sent jeffp51 for christmas ( which I had to cut about 3 " of off to send it) so I had a nice piece of the same wood to make the plugs. Also made a new tillering string. Soon have them bending on the tree! Thanks to whomever put together the incentives! Cheers- Brendan

Offline DC

« Reply #278 on: April 30, 2017, 02:01:05 pm »
Do you orient the plugs grain in any way? Just knowing that wood shrinks more across the grain made me wonder.

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #279 on: April 30, 2017, 02:36:25 pm »
Going to visit Swamp Thang in Texas (on the way to my father in law's which will mean more trips out there) made me realize I could have participated in this since my health has generally been decent.  After six strokes, I often lack the steadiness to do things, but I realize now that this group is a lot more understanding and patient than another "trad" archery site that I ended up leaving over political views and a bow swap rather unlike this one.  It had strict deadlines, and my name got passed to no fewer than three bowyers before a professional stepped in and built me a bow.  I treasure the bow, but the atmosphere was toxic.

I've got a crepe myrtle that needs backing with rawhide if you guys wanna let me play...

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #280 on: April 30, 2017, 03:30:18 pm »
Don, it's funny you mention that. Usually I orient them so the the end grain (plug) is in line with the edge grain of the bow. Just for looks. Hopefully it's done any shrinking it will haha. I wasn't paying attention this morning cause my two boys were chatting me up. I'll look and see which way they are going. Cheers- Brendan

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #281 on: April 30, 2017, 04:23:06 pm »
Hi EdwardS, we are looking for reserves to join at any time up to August; the idea is that if/when someone withdraws the reserves are offered their place, which they can turn down, of course. Reserves can build a bow at any time as all participants are of similar specs.  Participants can build as many bows as they please through the process of the trade and at the end of the trade anyone who has a spare bow can enter it into a random draw but the only people who will receive a bow are entrants to that draw.

If you want to join as a reserve, let me know. The more the merrier ;D

Offline cabinetbowguy

« Reply #282 on: April 30, 2017, 10:11:21 pm »
Finally got started on the bow its hickory backed black locast molly..
Amen

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #283 on: May 01, 2017, 01:19:15 am »
CBG that's sounds like a nice combo. Looking forward to seeing that one take shape! I rasped/spokeshaved the yew some more. It's starting to bend a bit. The bark from the center 4' popped off. It's got kind of a wonky side profile, so it's hard to see the bend but it's moving in the middle section. It about 60# at 10" on the long string now so I got a ways to go. Cheers- Brendan

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #284 on: May 01, 2017, 12:06:33 pm »
Almost got it floor tiller ed taking my sweet time.
Taking a break from the tiller and working on the handle a bit.
One limb is strayed away from the ste8ng being centered hopefully some steam and pressure will help
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 12:14:44 pm by Swamp Thang »