Author Topic: Cracks on side of bow  (Read 2187 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Cracks on side of bow
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 12:05:04 pm »
if you leave the wood coated with hide glue,, or really any kind of glue it will prevent the moisture from coming out the belly or sides,, and reduce your checking,,
also maybe let it cure in a more cool place,, since it winter, mabe the wood was drying too fast after the moisture induced by the sinew,,
I even read in one book,, they guy would rawhide back the belly to keep it from checking,, then take off the rawhide,, glue has worked for me,,
but i bet it was really dry where you had the bows,,,, almost like a heat box ,, and it caused it to check,, hope that helps,,

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 12:14:13 pm »
There may by something to that. The yew bow that crack severely, I put on all 4.5 layers on at once. But the juniper bow, which hardly cracked, I put on 2, then waited a week, then applied the 3rd. Maybe a single layer at a time.
As far as the amount of reflex. The yew has a steamed in setback in the handle, and the juniper has about 3" of reflex which i string backwards before sinewing.

Eric
Eric

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 12:42:53 pm »
Does sizing the back of the bow help to keep the moisture from the sinew from getting into the wood?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 01:07:19 pm »
no I dont think the sizing will keep moisture from getting in the bow,, its how fast the mositure leaves the bow that could cause a problem,, how many layers you put on at one time,, is usually not an issue,, where you keep the bow to cure could be an issue,,
I thick layer would probably put more moisture into a bow,, I think you would see a difference in making a bow in the winter ,, or summer,, because of ambient moisture in the air,, usually checking it not a big issue,, and if the checks are on the belly cause no problem,,

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 02:09:21 pm »
I live in the high desert of central Oregon and it is very dry here, so maybe that was the issue. Maybe I need to find or make a place with higher humidity to slow the drying
Eric

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 02:31:08 pm »
I don't know if this would work for you, but it works for me.  After I sinew a bow I will put packing or duct tape on the belly of the bow and stick it under the bed until it cures.  It has helped with the bow from checking.
Northern Ute

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 03:32:26 pm »
That's interesting, the same concept of raw hiding the belly, just a whole lot easier. Sounds like it's worth a try. That should keep the belly and sides from drying inconsistently
Eric

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 03:41:25 pm »
yes and put the bow someplace that is not heated that much,, if you are inside,, like me , I am in the high desert too,, and the humidity is 30% sometime,, and just to dry,,
maybe in a part of the house that is not heated that much,, after I coat them I dont usually have a problem, but I had a pecan bow blow up, and I put the moisture meter on it and it was 6%,,, whew,, I had it in the room with the heat ,,,

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 04:39:56 pm »
Red hand's idea is good.Similarily done on horn bows after sinewing.So is Brads idea.Without trying to sound redundant here seems to me there is a common denominator here to affect both bows the same.It's not a coincidence.The temperature and humidity in the beginning after sinewing.I think your on the right track.Usually I put a heavily sinewed bow somewhere around 65 degrees at floor level and at least 50%  humidity or more the first few days[letting it gel and bond properly] then out into a warmer area with air movement and less humidity.
I would let the bows cure.Super glue the cracks.Tiller it.Hope for the best now.Good luck.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed