Author Topic: Finale Tiller check please ?  (Read 3242 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Finale Tiller check please ?
« on: February 19, 2017, 08:40:49 am »
This is a static tip bow I have been working on got the raw hide on 2 weeks ago & got it shooting yesterday Im going to call it done if you guys dont see any thing else & send it to the beauty shop
Its posting good chrono numbers with b50 & 530 grain arrow ,I think I will bust the 170s with Ff
Stats are 65ntn 47lb @29
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Finale Tiller check please ?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 08:41:33 am »
Numbers

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 08:45:17 am »
The top limb looks good, the bottom is bending too much just out of the fade and a little stiff in the outer third.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 08:59:54 am »
Ok thanks Eric the outer third is 9 in. of static limb it's hard to see in the pic , this type bow can be a head scratcher for me if I flip the bow over it is almost the same looking profile & the bow measures the same at brace less the 3/16 positive tiller

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 09:01:11 am »
Could be the way it's canted slightly too.Pretty good Ritch.Those numbers are A+ too with an 11+ grain arrow too.Glad everything worked out good.Congratulations.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline freke

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 10:15:37 am »
Numbers

A little too fast for you I can see, the deer is still on the run:)

nice score.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 01:53:02 pm »
I'd be happy with it. Should be a hunter.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 02:04:09 pm »
very nice congrats on a nice shootin bow,, :)  thanks for posting the chrono results,,its a bit of extra work, but when you keep a journal,, the info always comes in handy,, for you are someone making a bow,,
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 02:11:53 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 02:17:49 pm »
Pictures can throw things off. If you really want to see detail, look at a picture and squint, this gets rid of a lot of background and other things that confuse your eyes. I learned that in an art class I took years ago when I was learning to paint the duck decoys I was making.

Offline willie

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 02:18:11 pm »
Looks like the static outers are getting the job done well. Are the tips exaggerated, as with the molly style? , or for that matter, Is there much more to be gained with Eiffel tower or recurved style static tips?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 02:33:48 pm »
Looks good. Bottom limb looks shorter?
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 02:36:54 pm »
I think that anything that lightens the tips short of breaking or instability is a good thing. That said I also think that once you get up to 170 or so the improvement come 1 fps at a time. For those that aren't speed freaks it becomes unimportant and they'd be better off with durability. 

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 02:42:57 pm »
I think that anything that lightens the tips short of breaking or instability is a good thing. That said I also think that once you get up to 170 or so the improvement come 1 fps at a time. For those that aren't speed freaks it becomes unimportant and they'd be better off with durability.

I agree entirely.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 03:18:33 pm »
about the photo,, the camera distorts images a bit,, and the cant of the bow comes into play,,
when i hold up a straight edge to the photo,, i can see the tiller pretty good,,, and if it was my bow I would be hesitant to make adjustments made soley on the photo,, i would have to see it in person,, and study it like that,, also I would have to study the unbraced profile and the feathering of the grain,, etc etc, etc,,,,, the photo give a good general idea,, but I would not scrape wood based on it,,

if the bow was not taking any more set,,, and teh profile was stable, I would make that my key indicator,, and how the bow shoots trumps all that for me,, :)

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 03:40:44 pm »
Thanks every body Willie this bow is a half parallel half pyramid design with statics 9 in worth  so the tips tapper mid limb to the tips and the static tips also tapper in thickness I did not narrow the statics in width only in thickness other then pyramid but if you weight the bow as your taking off wood its amazing how much weight are left in the tips ,with raw hide I ended up at 20.67 oz. George its the phone camera distortion there the same length , DC I was not chassing speed per say I was just trying to make a late season below zero hunting bow with the idea if I short draw from wrong postion shot or just plain being to cold I would still have good arrow speed not changing trajectory to much on 20 yard shots. I have the big brother of this bow at 68 in and going to be 52 lb all ruffed out ready for tiller it will be interesting to see the difference between this one & the longer heaver version.