Author Topic: Finish Clay Epoxy  (Read 2313 times)

Offline gfugal

Finish Clay Epoxy
« on: February 16, 2017, 03:53:20 pm »
So I read somewhere that the ornate finishes on the bows they used for Lord of The Rings were done with some kind of epoxy clay. While Those bows were decorative, and not real shooters, I was thinking that one could still decorate a real bow with ornate finishes like this. Obviously, it wouldn't be a good Idea to carve the wood on working limbs, however, If you had a clay you can place over the wood and shape that it should work, right?  I attached a picture of the tips of one of Legolas's bow as an example. Has anyone done this, or heard of anyone doing this successfully? 
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline bubby

Re: Finish Clay Epoxy
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 03:58:25 pm »
Thats basically a non working area, i would carve that in
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline gfugal

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 04:24:06 pm »
true but carving a moldable clay would be much easier. Plus I was thinking of it in other areas besides the tips.
Greg,

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 04:54:38 pm »
Guys use that Epoxy sculpt for decorating all over the bow.It's flexible enough if the mix is tinkered with a bit.. I think they just lay it on like playdough rather than carving it and shape it with palette knives and the like.

Offline Ghost308

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 05:44:58 pm »
If I were you I would contact G.I Bows , he used to make the LOTR bows with all the decoration,I am sure she would be happy to tell you what to use for all the vine work.  medievalcollectibles.com/c-1551-gi-bows.aspx
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 06:10:34 pm by Marc St Louis »

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 11:20:09 pm »
there is a 2 part product called spash zone used for making emergency repairs on boats. it tools nice, has long working  time, and uses water to clean up and smooth out the work.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 02:56:29 am »
Personally I have planned on doing this very thing, only with sinew instead of clay.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 07:02:39 am »
There's no reason not to leave a design on a working limb proud as you scrape down the areas around it, provided it does not affect the tiller - wouldn't imagine vines or knot-work would stiffen a section, for instance. I wonder if repeated use and the extreme forces found at the end of a bow-limb might throw-off an epoxy fairly quickly?

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 07:32:13 am »
Sleek I like the sinew idea you sure wouldnt have to worry about it comming off & you could get a long working time & if you didnt like your design easy fix !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline DesertDisciple

• Arise, for it is your task, and we are with you
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 05:30:53 pm »
Bondo  8)

Check out your local art stores. They have moldable acrylic mediums that artists use to add texture and provide 3d relief to paintings. Gesso might even work.
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline DesertDisciple

• Arise, for it is your task, and we are with you
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 06:02:56 pm »
Just looked it up and it's called acrylic modeling paste. Golden is a really good brand. Check out stores like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Dick Blick and the like. The benefit is they mix readily with acrylic paint.
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline gfugal

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 07:03:03 pm »
Thanks I'll check it out! The sinew carving is intruiging as well. Possibly a more primitive option
Greg,