Author Topic: Backing for Elm boards  (Read 3565 times)

Offline Springbuck

Re: Backing for Elm boards
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 02:33:39 pm »
  I've only backed elm with linen, but any wood about the same weight, like maple, or ash should work fine.  Just follow the same design rules.  Elm isn't all that dense, so make the limbs pretty wide, and maybe trap to a backing...

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 07:40:02 pm »
You know what, I lied.  I have backed elm with rawhide.

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 03:51:01 am »
Thanks for you input Springbuck it's good to hear you've had some sucess with soft backing. I will bear it in mind and I might give some type of fibre (hemp or sisal etc) a go. I am really hoping to discover that the boards will be ok without backing though- fingers crossed!  O:)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2017, 12:16:11 pm »
 For the record, despite elm, with an intact growth ring, being extremely tough and really resistant to breaking, you don't see many backings made of it.  And, wood backings come from perfect boards, you know? 

Unlike Tim Baker I DIDN'T have particularly good results decrowning small diameter elm staves, except in some kid's bows.  But, that was a long time ago. I may not have been good at it then.  I'm just saying, take a long look at the board-stave, really understand the grain, then choose and trim out your rough bow carefully.  Leave extra width and length, etc.

Good luck.