Author Topic: Steaming seasoned staves to remove bark?  (Read 1106 times)

Offline stash59

Steaming seasoned staves to remove bark?
« on: February 09, 2017, 02:07:27 pm »
Anyone tried this? I just watched a YouTube woodworking vid. Where the guy does this with the small logs/branches he uses for some of his furniture projects. It came off really easy. Unlike how I've seen in some of the bow making vids.

If used it may take a couple days to dry the moisture from the steam back out, Thoughts!!!!!

The vid can be found at izzy swan on YouTube. Go to playlists and find the 1 on 'Steam Bending and more'. He's also got some great ideas for jigs that he uses to rip these same logs/branches on his tablesaw. I can see a use for some of these in bowmaking. If one is inclined to use a power tool to speed up the thinning process.

Not archery related, but you gotta watch his video on using a tablesaw and a drill. To make a wooden bowl!! It's pretty cool.

Thanx

Chuck

Offline PatM

Re: Steaming seasoned staves to remove bark?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 02:18:06 pm »
I mentioned doing this on another post. It works well. The power washing thread was a step up from this if you have access to a power washer with hot water. A power washer would probably still work with cold water.

Offline stash59

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 02:31:30 pm »
Thanx! So many threads so little time!!! ??? :laugh:

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 03:00:53 pm »
I noticed it works well on Douglas Maple, not so well on Yew.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 09:20:20 pm »
Don't bother trying it on muscle wood. I've got one bow I've been shooting for about 4 years now. Gave up on getting the bark off, left it on and it's still on.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline stash59

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 07:35:31 am »
Don't bother trying it on muscle wood. I've got one bow I've been shooting for about 4 years now. Gave up on getting the bark off, left it on and it's still on.

Tattoo Dave

Okay I'm a newb. What woods are considered muscle wood?

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 01:12:26 pm »
Also known as American hornbeam I believe. I now have a power washer, I haven't tried that. Maybe will try it, I have one more stave with bark on it. The sister stave of the bow I mentioned in last post.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI