Author Topic: Bow wood in AZ.  (Read 4588 times)

Offline dane lund

Bow wood in AZ.
« on: January 15, 2017, 09:40:01 am »
 So far, used staves from other parts of the country, but I'm sure AZ must have some wood that will make good bows.  There are some species of Ash, mesquite and juniper here, but not sure which and how to recognize.

Any help out there.
In His grip,
Smallpatch

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
Re: Bow wood in AZ.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 12:16:18 pm »
All ash(mountain and green there) make a good bow. Mesquite makes a good bow. Sinew back will help if it is short(weaker in tension). All junipers sinew backed. New Mexican locust, mt mahogany, Scrub oak, serviceberry and probably others I'm not thinking of right now.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 12:26:40 pm »
In addition to Chuck's list, might try Desert Ironwood,  Olneya tesota and I think I recall hearing Palo Verde Parkinsonia florida is a strong dense wood... might be worth a try. Both are shrubby multitrunked trees.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline dane lund

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 04:18:00 pm »
Thanks guys, have lots of Ash and mesquite here.  Never seen serviceberry, Mexican locust, or Mt mahogany
Carson, we do have ironwood as well.
I have a 2 year old Palo Verde in my back yard, about 20ft tall.  They get massive here.
There are several species of mesquite, native variety is NASTY.  WE ALSO HAVE Chilean mesquite that has way less thorns.  Do you know if it is any good?
In His grip,
Smallpatch

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 02:04:06 pm »
Mesquite is good if you can find a stave worth working.

I live in Utah, so we share woods, but not all or entirely.  You may have to go UP, as in higher elevation to find more scrub woods like serviceberry.

Look for "feral" trees at the edge of civilization, too.  Defunct farms often have plums, cherries, apple, or other fruit and ornamental trees.  Elms spread fast and seem to be everywhere; vacant lots, watercourses, alleyways, riverbottoms, that field that is about to be developed into houses, etc. My home county road dept is always cutting down elm and mulberry growing too close to the road, in ditches, and all up in the chainlink fences. When they do, it's basically coppicing, and the suckers shoot up straight and tall and can make a bow in just a few years.   Black locust is often planted as a reclamation tree because it builds and adds nitrogen to soil.  Ash behaves like elm, spreading everywhere, just not as much or as fast, and generally grows more slowly.  Scrub maples in the mountains, like canyon maple, is a very hard, tough maple, almost acts like sugar maple.

Keep an eye out for tree workers cutting species you like, and people doing landscaping.  I have found staves at the dump where they grind up green waste for topsoil.   Ask around and spread the word, and see what comes back to you.

Offline Orrum

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 07:44:56 pm »
Be careful because desert ironwood is a protected tree in Az.  Big fines for that and certain cactus species.
Knapping....If your hobby does not consume you then you have no hobby.

Offline Stoner

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 09:48:05 pm »
Well here's my 2 cents.

Don't waste your time on palo verde. The juniper is only good for bonfires, great aroma. The ironwood is only good for risers, it STINKS when cut or sanded and dulls the heck out of your tools. Might be toxic to breath.

Had limited success with the true desert mesquite. The selfbows worked for a sort time before failing. I think it needs to be sinew backed. Maybe didn't use the right bow dimensions. Also very hard on tooling. I did make a really nice riser on a three piece takedown with turquois inlay. John

Offline Pago

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 06:02:08 pm »
Palo Verde is an extremely poor bow wood, I did the research looking for bow wood in AZ too.  Mesquite is iffy too because there are so many different species and they range from OK bow wood to worthless. One of the best candidates I have found is AZ oak, I have examined some and they look promising the specs line up too.  The problem is you need a permit to cut some, which I am told is not hard to acquire but getting it all arranged will be time intensive which I don't have to spare.