Author Topic: Bow Night Part Deux  (Read 10510 times)

Offline tom sawyer

Re: Bow Night Part Deux
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2008, 12:06:52 pm »
The skins were originally glycerin tanned.  As you know, glycerin is water-soluble so by soaking in several changes of water you can effectively remove it.  The advantage of the tanned skins is that they are supple and won't crack like the air-dried ones can.  I tried to find glycerin at the Walgreens but couldn't find a product with it so I settled on baby oil with is a mineral oil, thinking it'd do about the same.  maybe if I'd dried the skins and pasted the oil on, it would've not rotted.

We glued the skins on with an Elmers carpenters glue, diluted with water.  I've used that and hide glue and both seem to work fine.

I lied about the head lock, Jimmy is strong as a bull so I wouldn't pick a fight with him by accident.  But I did headlock him in my mind.

Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2008, 01:15:18 pm »
Ya that Jimmy is a funny guy alright. BTW regarding the  weight of the bow. Doesn't look like he is drawing 28 in anyway assuming the arrow is not oversized like mine are. :)  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2008, 01:30:56 pm »
He might not be Jawge, although I might also have snapped the photo a little before he reached full draw.  And the arrows are mine, 29" length.  I warned him not to over draw them.  It'd be quite alright with me if he drew just a little less than 28", less stress on the bow.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Dano

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2008, 03:04:48 pm »
Thanks Lennie, I have always steared clear of tanned skins, until NOW. I was thinkin, "dang Lennie does have nads of steel, puttin Jimmy in a headlock"  :o ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada