Author Topic: Eastern Woodland bow pictures library  (Read 52652 times)

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
Re: Eastern Woodland bow pictures library
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2015, 07:03:04 pm »
i wish there was some kinda scale to get bow dimensions off those photos...

but that being said thank you for putting in this kinda effort to find all these photos and post them up... it's amazing to me to see the difference between regional area/tribes and the types/sizes/etc of the bows they make and used... 

i wonder what actual poundages these pulled as some look quite tiny and delicate to me..
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline half eye

« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2015, 07:19:18 pm »
Remember that for museum purposes the measurements would describe an "invisible box" into which the object would fit.....so if you see a description that gives 3 measurements and ya freak out over "depth" it is actually the bow laid back or belly and measured to the furthest distance (meaning the bow and all of the set.

Also the length given is a straight line from tip to tip no following of contours etc. just so you know the curators could care less about bowyers having "regular" measurements....they simply describe the size of the objects "footprint" 

Having said all that if any of the measurements on a pic is accurate you can calculate most of the dimensions and be pretty close.
rich

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2015, 10:23:04 am »
I believe there are dimensions on the museum website, they are in metric
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline half eye

« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2015, 11:16:42 am »
Marc is correct, there are measurements on most items usually in centimeters so when I posted the pics I just divided by 2.54 and entered them as inches (I originally did that because it was easier for me)  but you should be aware that height and width given measurements might not be the bow....they may be the space occupied by the bow, sometimes not so. But if you come across a measurement of height of 6 to 8 cm be aware that the bow is probably not 2.36 - 3.15 inches thick.

Marc told you correctly as stated, I just want to point out that curators measurements may not be the same as what we as bowyers need.

Thanks Marc
rich

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2015, 02:44:28 pm »
I really appreciate this rich. Totally awesome. Thanks again. I'm gonna have to do some research on a Cayuga Indian bow. I'd love to make a replica of sorts
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline stash59

« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2017, 08:19:17 pm »
Wow is this stuff ever cool!!!!!!!!!

I'm a newb and really appreciate finding this.

Thanx

Chuck

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2017, 09:43:44 am »
I'm glad you found this stash and moved it up.  I've never seen this post. I spend  too much time looking for museum photos of native bows, and here are a ton!

Eric
Eric

Offline loon

« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2017, 09:49:35 am »
that 74 inch Mohawk with very recurved tips... wow

if only i could see it in more detail. width profile? bendy or stiff handle?.. how would it look unstrung..

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2017, 03:51:56 pm »
When you get through posting all of these, if pat doesn't sticky it I will. Or, we'll put it somewhere easy to find.

"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline willie

« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2017, 07:23:16 pm »

Or, we'll put it somewhere easy to find.

I will second that proposal, as it will be nice to have a reference place to put museum photos and links

Hope to see more additions, and it might happen if it is easy to find.

thanks in advance, admin.