Author Topic: Osage?  (Read 2690 times)

Offline TimBo

Re: Osage?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 12:21:55 pm »
Looks like there are some snaky staves in there to me!  Six feet is great.  If you do cut the other tree, and assuming it's not osage, save some twigs - you will be able to ID it by studying the buds, whether the leaf scars are alternate or opposite, etc.  Look for something like "winter tree ID" online and it should help.  That will be good info to have when you are designing your bows.  Good luck!

Offline justsomedude

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 01:33:33 pm »
This tree has three large trunks that grew out at an angle and split at the roots and fell.
Two of them still have bark...I'll bust out the chainsaw and see what's up. There's a straight 6'

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 05:10:26 pm »
Looks like a lot of prop twist in those Osage. That bark looks likes its wrapping around those trees.  But you might be able to make it work. 

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 05:13:45 pm »
Is a bent piece like this usable? About 6' to the big bend/knot.
I just don't know how picky we are with Osage.

The one in the middle (big one, with the hole at bottom looks good, id see if you can get 6 ft from the top of  that hole.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 06:44:50 pm »
Definitely watch the bark. The bark will show you how the grain of the wood inside runs. I the bark twist, the would twists, if the bark is snakes,so will the wood be.
I look for the straightest tree, with the straightest cleanest trunk and bark I can find. In spite of that you will usually find enough hidden surprise inside anyway. Pin knots, broken off twigs that got grown over, etc.
the chooses you are at the beginning, the betterff you will be in the end. Crooked,twisted, so-so Osage is easy to come by but harder to work with. Premium Osage is harder to find, but great to work with in the end.