Author Topic: Reading my first cut for staves  (Read 1992 times)

Offline justsomedude

Reading my first cut for staves
« on: February 03, 2017, 12:38:55 pm »
I am reading the Bowyer's Bible 1 and have ordered Gary Davis' DVD

I just cut a tree (the mystery tree from my Osage? thread). It is 74" long. Fairly straight to 5' and then has bend. I carried it out of the woods immediately after cutting, then put Elmer's glue on the ends right after taking the pics.

Ash?

When splitting this, I would favor the sides with the thicker straighter rings? Looking at the bend and considering the type of wood, would I be better served to plan a shorter 5' bow? I have a son that is turning 13 soon if I need to keep the draw weight down.

Offline DuBois

Re: Reading my first cut for staves
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 12:44:27 pm »
I was looking at your osage thread and if I were you, I would go back and investigate the wood on the ground behind you osage tree. It may be downed osage that is prime for a bow. Looks like 2 or 3 layin on the ground and you would not need much dry time to get started. If it is not osage, I would cut that farthest outshoot of osage. I didn't think you were gonna cut the ash if that's what it is.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 12:48:11 pm »
Your log looks like hickory to me. I'd try to get two staves that are in line with the bend--one back set and one deflexed. Then make billets of the rest.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 12:52:48 pm »
Your log looks like hickory to me. I'd try to get two staves that are in line with the bend--one back set and one deflexed. Then make billets of the rest.
+1
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline justsomedude

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 12:56:40 pm »
I was looking at your osage thread and if I were you, I would go back and investigate the wood on the ground behind you osage tree. It may be downed osage that is prime for a bow. Looks like 2 or 3 layin on the ground and you would not need much dry time to get started. If it is not osage, I would cut that farthest outshoot of osage. I didn't think you were gonna cut the ash if that's what it is.
Will do. There are trees that grew right on the ground coming out the Osage clump

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 12:57:36 pm »
To me that's ash by the bark and the wood.Depending on how big your log is as to how many staves you get.Looks pretty decent really.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline justsomedude

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 12:59:13 pm »
Oops...forgot to mention the size.
It is 5" at the bottom and 4" at the top.
To me that's ash by the bark and the wood.Depending on how big your log is as to how many staves you get.Looks pretty decent really.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 01:04:59 pm »
With a little luck 3 staves maybe if it splits straight enough without any twist at all,but 2 for sure in my world here and more than likely.You got plenty of length to adjust too.Nice log.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline John Scifres

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 01:11:28 pm »
I'd go for quarters.

Offline justsomedude

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 01:14:50 pm »
The ends of the branches are symmetrical like this

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 01:19:18 pm »
Sometimes small diameter trees like that do not split even and run out on one end.  Good luck with it and post pictures of what you get from it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 01:22:05 pm »
Tree folks call that branch arrangement "opposite." If nearly all the twigs on the branches are that way, then yes, probably an ash.

That said, was that tree alive? The rings near the bark don't look like recently alive sapwood. Just tossing a wet blanket out there... something to look into before getting  hopes too high.

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline justsomedude

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 01:31:51 pm »
Yes. The trees nearby that I know to be Hickory were alternating instead of opposite.
The ends of the branches at the top (about 30') were still green and pliable