Author Topic: Another Wood ID please  (Read 772 times)

Offline justsomedude

Another Wood ID please
« on: February 03, 2017, 07:18:13 pm »
I promise I am looking this up for myself too :)

I cut a 2" tree today in hopes of making a 50" kid's bow (and to practice splitting staves and stripping bark).
About 15 feet tall, alternating leaves. The fresh growth branches are smooth gray with some white spots.
The split has a dark pith down the middle with black spots in the wood.

I just split it and stripped the bark and cut down the belly a bit. Has some backset. I will clamp it and let it dry.
It is fairly heavy (I know it is wet). The shaved down wood was very hard and smooth.

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Another Wood ID please
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 07:30:10 pm »
Looks like elm
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline justsomedude

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 08:11:56 pm »
That's what I was hoping for. I split the other half a little thin and it is very springy and strong.
I might attempt a pyramid bow...nuther thread...

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 08:45:48 pm »
Not sure if Elm would work like that. Did it split easily and shave without wandering?

Offline justsomedude

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 08:58:49 pm »
The split was pretty sloppy and my draw knife kept getting hung up on little knots in the wood (inside..not on the edges). I used a large knife sliding up and down to chop the belly down. I still have more to go but cutting the belly down to get past the hollow pith in the middle was making me wonder if it would ever smooth out in the middle