Author Topic: Bow tuning  (Read 2318 times)

Offline bow101

Bow tuning
« on: February 02, 2017, 01:38:09 pm »
I took notice the other day that my arrows in the target at 60 feet were about 10-15 degrees nock high.  On one particular bow.  Is this OK...?  Should I raise the nock point..?

PS. I dont paper tune,  my last arrows are perfect.   ;)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Bow tuning
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 01:50:24 pm »
put the nocking point where you get the best arrow flight,,its just that easy,,
try moving it and if it shoots better leave it there,,
you can bare shaft or paper tune and it will validate what you are doing,,if I am getting perfect arrow flight I am happy with that,, and leave it at that,, but do what you need to do to have confidence in your set up,,

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 07:05:04 pm »
"were about 10-15 degrees nock high"   ya butt what ya think about the outcome...?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 08:22:38 pm »
I agree with Brad. Your nock point is off. You should see nothing but the back of your fletching as the arrow flies.
More on my site.
http://traditionalarchery101.com/selfbowcare.html
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 12:52:59 pm »
It's good you solved the problem 101.I'll remember your findings.I don't know but as for me I use the bow square 3/8" above center of it and mark it.I knock it below the mark and shoot split finger.While tillering on the tree with the pulley first I make sure it draws in a straight line against the background of my tillering tree.When I knock an arrow on the braced bow onto shelf I lay the bow and arrow on tile lines on the floor.Using the lines from the tile I make sure the arrow lays dead nuts straight along those lines of the tile then too.Then I go shoot the bow in.This has served me well for good arrow flight with the right spined arrow for the bow.
While bare shaft tuning the same tilt up can occur.Which is natural I think.Fletching settles that into a straight line hitting the target for me.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 01:55:19 pm »
I agree Bead, thats basically the way I do it.
My question was is 10-15 degrees nock high in the target to high..?  Should they be parallel to the ground...?  At times I ask 20 questions before arriving at the final answer.   :)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 05:23:00 pm »
that is a hard question,, the target may influence how the arrow lays,,
the arrow flight is most important,,
if you adjust your nock and the arrow flies perfecrt and is parallel,, then that would be optimum,,
if the arrow is kicking up off the rest, then an adjustment needs to be made,,

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 09:16:37 pm »
I'll say this....If you slam one into a metal fence post you'll know.If the shaft breaks it's too much of an angle.If it bounces straight back and just mushrooms the field point onto the shaft farther it's ok.....lol.
Shafts not flying correctly will bust if they hit a hard non penetrating surface.
BowEd
Ed

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 07:36:34 am »
I was always told that an arrow tuned to be slightly knock high will give you a slightly flatter trajectory. That was for compound bows though.  With slower shooting wood bows I can't see it making much of a difference. Im sure its a matter of personal preference so just tune it to where you like it.
Steve Bennett

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 08:05:36 am »
Sounds pretty close to me. Depending on the speed of the arrow . At 20 yards you have some arc. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline loon

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 08:44:15 am »
I was always told that an arrow tuned to be slightly knock high will give you a slightly flatter trajectory. That was for compound bows though.  With slower shooting wood bows I can't see it making much of a difference. Im sure its a matter of personal preference so just tune it to where you like it.
I've seen it a lot with Korean bows, in slow motion etc. The low wrist and high nock point just seems to encourage that. Maybe it helps with 145m shooting.. ...

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 11:10:14 am »
Yes I think too a slight knock high on target is good.Actually perfect I would say.Using a stiff foam target for this too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline willie

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 03:22:02 pm »

don't know if you are shooting paper or fur, but I have a sneaking suspicion that angled arrow impact has a lot to do with penetration (or lack of it, for hunting situations), yet I rarely hear much said or written.

Not to change the subject much, but does anyone have similar suspicions?

Offline bow101

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 04:11:11 pm »
Thanks guys that pretty well wraps it up.  I dont paper tune,  why...?  just because.   Maybe laziness on my part. :P