Author Topic: Emily's Bow...  (Read 3986 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Emily's Bow...
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 07:34:30 pm »
Looks like a nice shooter in the making for sure.  (SH)  And by the way, that's a sweet looking vice! I gotta get me one of those.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 06:11:59 pm »
Looks pretty good guys.  :OK

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 10:15:40 pm »
good for you!  It looks like you are doing your usual fine job.  Thanks for sharing.
 (-P
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 08:23:00 am »
Looks great onebow.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 12:43:19 pm »
Thanx guys.  I am going to trim off the excess bamboo this evening and go back to floor tillering.  She gained a buh-gillion tons of new draw weight after I glued up the Boo backing.  The elm belly was floor tillered to where I could just get it flexing a couple inches before the Boo was glued on.  Now, I have a crow bar that bends more easily than this bow!!! 

I have a couple questions about the Boo we used for backing.

1] There are a few lines that look like they could be really fine linear cracks in the backing.  I mean really small almost no-see-ehm class lines.  I've always just filled these with small super thin CA and have never had a problem.  ...but since this is going to be shot by a child most of the time, I'm inclined to be extra careful.  What is your experience with these super fine lines in Bamboo?  Do I need to wrap these with silk thread and epoxy?  None of them run off the edge of the bow and they are strictly linear.  I'll try to get and post some close-up pix later tonight.

2] How do you treat the nodes as far as smoothing them out?  I have always just sanded them lightly smooth with very fine grit paper and then sealed them with CA glue.  My brother had a catastrophic failure with one that broke at the nodal ridge that he had only just barely nicked when he was working on the bow.  Again, I've seen both type of boo backed bows - where the nodes were left way proud, even to the point of being left completely untouched, and I've seen where they were radically sanded off smooth with the rest of the backing.  Both seemed to work well enough.  What are your experiences?

OneBow