Author Topic: First bow build  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Theshadow38ish

First bow build
« on: February 01, 2017, 10:47:43 am »
This is my first attempt to build a bow.  It is Service Berry 65 inches with 70 #  at 30 inches.  It has several knots on the upper limb and also some bug damage that has healed over.  still in the final tillering process.  Let me know what you think or any suggestions.

Offline Philipp A

Re: First bow build
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 11:07:07 am »
Glad to see you making your first bow. How far along are you in the tillering process? In any case good luck with finishing it, looks like a challenging stave to start with  :)

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 11:24:56 am »
That damage would worry me. It's fairly close to the tip so it might be OK but----if you're already out to 30".

Offline Theshadow38ish

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 12:01:44 pm »
I left it a little thick on the limbs about to mid limb where knots are in upper limb anticipating some cracks in belly.  And I did get a few cracks running long ways.  so I am reducing the areas where the cracks are and checking with tillering.  I have taken it all the way to 30 inch seems to be stacking the last 2 inches.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 01:42:02 pm »
If it's cracking longwise, is it dry? 

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 01:43:03 pm »
ServiceBerry where I live is small diameter and the grain twists like mad.

Offline Theshadow38ish

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 02:10:50 pm »
Springbuck: Yes it is dry.  we get some service berry that is about 4 inch diamter

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 07:50:20 pm »
Cool man, thanks for posting.  :) I'd love to see it bending. If you get a chance post some pics of what it looks like braced and at full draw.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Gorzideudeus

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 08:22:00 pm »
Looking good so far! I'm only working on my second bow, so I can't claim to know what I'm talking about... ;D
But the feeling of landing an arrow in a hay bale with a bow you built yourself is simply great. Just take your time, and it will pay off.
Christian
Montrose, Pennsylvania

It's just rapid unplanned disassembly. I don't know what you mean by 'it broke'.

Offline Theshadow38ish

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 10:58:26 pm »
 upstatenybowyer: Here is my first 3 shots from my Service Berry Bow.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayt3gLNN1og    I hope this will help I will take more pics and post with better light.

Offline Theshadow38ish

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 11:38:11 pm »
Here are 3 pics also I hope they help.  The upper limb (on left) has a lot of natural deflux in it. tried once to use heat to take it out.  Didn't hold.  so it is decieving.